HEAT LAMP WITH WOOD CAGE??

Maggy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Salt Lake City, Utah
I have a hermanns tortoises and I built him a cage out of wood. I have a heat lamp hanging over it and it gets about 100 to 105 degrees in the cage during the day. I was wondering if there is any possibility that the wood could catch fire?? I also have some Timothy hay laying around the cage, could that catch fire as well?

Alexio

Syracuse, New York
I have a hermanns tortoises and I built him a cage out of wood. I have a heat lamp hanging over it and it gets about 100 to 105 degrees in the cage during the day. I was wondering if there is any possibility that the wood could catch fire?? I also have some Timothy hay laying around the cage, could that catch fire as well?
I would post picture for additional clarity, but I don't think the wood would be an issue. Remember in some people attics in the summer the temps can easily exceed 105 and virtually every house is constructed in part out of wood.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
If your lamp is mounted properly, and not too hot, you should have no problem.

The timothy hay is a problem though. Hermanni are not grass eaters, and your substrate should be damp, which would make the hay mold.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
If the lights were pointing onto the wood then yes it could start a fire. However if it were pointing onto the wood then the enclosure wouldn't be so hot.
Btw, if that is not the basking area then it's too hot for the tort.
If you have any concerns of a fire you could lay tin foil over the wood you are worried about. I have used it on plastic to keep it from getting to hot from lights/heat.