HEAT LIGHT BROKEN

TortoiseCharlie

My heat lamp broke this morning, unfortunately it's Boxing Day and everywhere is closed so I can't buy a new one! I don't have any spare bulbs - what should I do? They're currently sleeping - but I don't want them to go into hibernation. Can they last a few days without heat?

I'm really panicking a little - sorry to be a bother - I hope you all had a wonderful Christmas

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
You can heat the habitat with a regular incandescent bulb until you're able to get to the store. I use the 100 watt bulbs and they provide plenty of heat.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
My heat lamp broke this morning, unfortunately it's Boxing Day and everywhere is closed so I can't buy a new one! I don't have any spare bulbs - what should I do? They're currently sleeping - but I don't want them to go into hibernation. Can they last a few days without heat?

I'm really panicking a little - sorry to be a bother - I hope you all had a wonderful Christmas

What is Boxing Day? Where are you? All the stores around here are open.

You can get regular incandescent bulbs anywhere. Grocery stores, hardware stores, Walmart or Target…

If need be, borrow one from somewhere else in your house.

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
Snag one from a fixture in your house - that's all I use for heat anyway. The UVB bulbs are what need to be specialized.

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
What is Boxing Day? Where are you? All the stores around here are open.

You can get regular incandescent bulbs anywhere. Grocery stores, hardware stores, Walmart or Target…

If need be, borrow one from somewhere else in your house.
Boxing Day is a holiday in Canada, the UK and other countries.

M

Maggie Cummings

If you have some problem with getting a light bulb, any light bulb, you can always take a jar, fill it with hot water, wrap a towel around it, and ....heat. But just take a bulb out of a lamp for now. If you ever lose electricity used the jar thing.

TortoiseCharlie

If you have some problem with getting a light bulb, any light bulb, you can always take a jar, fill it with hot water, wrap a towel around it, and ....heat. But just take a bulb out of a lamp for now. If you ever lose electricity used the jar thing.

That jar idea is brilliant! Thank you I'll remember that for the future! I went to the reptile store and picked up a new bulb first thing this morning so it's all good now :)

M

Maggie Cummings

I use black ones, they put off a light spectrum that torts don't either see, or it doesn't bother them. I think the red disturbs their sleep, but that I'm really not sure of. I use a black light bulb in every habitat I have in the house, except for one sick tort. He has a CHE and a black light bulb, hotter. So some people will argue 'cuse they don't like them, but I have not seen any harm to any of my torts or box turtles. I even find the Russians under the bulb at night at times. In the US they're $3.46 at Kmart, can't beat 'em....
Red can't be too bad, aren't they used for lizards or snakes? Somebody will correct us and tell us why, I'm sure....

TortoiseCharlie

I use black ones, they put off a light spectrum that torts don't either see, or it doesn't bother them. I think the red disturbs their sleep, but that I'm really not sure of. I use a black light bulb in every habitat I have in the house, except for one sick tort. He has a CHE and a black light bulb, hotter. So some people will argue 'cuse they don't like them, but I have not seen any harm to any of my torts or box turtles. I even find the Russians under the bulb at night at times. In the US they're $3.46 at Kmart, can't beat 'em....
Red can't be too bad, aren't they used for lizards or snakes? Somebody will correct us and tell us why, I'm sure....

Unless the light actually causes problems, I'll probably just wait for it to blow and buy a different one next time :)

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
I just started playing with the red bulb during a day (you can see full description in "what's wrong with red bulb?" thread. I think I'll look into black bulbs as well just for the sake of having more options

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I have heard that the red bulbs can cause the tortoises to eat there substrate. Or other things they're not supposed to eat, something about the light spectrum isn't right. If you tortoises are adults then you don't need anything at night for heat. During the day ditch the red bold and get just a regular old lightbulb. Tortoises need a lot of light and there won't be any problems with it. I think the 5600 or 6500 range is good daylight type light. I can't remember if it's 6D for 500 or 5600. Basically you're looking for more of a bluish or whitish light and not a yellowish one. Even black would be much better than red.