Heat Matt? Lamp?

janebartley

Location (City and/or State)
Newcastle Upon Tyne
I've just orders some coco coir for next day delivery, should I just put it straight in how it is? I've read some suggestions of mixing it with sand for burrowing?

Tort dude

United States
You must work at a pet store. Or are you a vet?

How many baby horsfield tortoises have you raised with humidity to reach this conclusion?
how many have you raised, i have raised two and they are healthy (offensive comment removed by moderator - please watch your attitude)

Last edited by a moderator:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
how many have you raised, i have raised two and they are healthy

I have raised abut 3 dozen from hatchlings and housed another 10 or 20 older ones over the years.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I've just orders some coco coir for next day delivery, should I just put it straight in how it is? I've read some suggestions of mixing it with sand for burrowing?
You'll need to rehydrate it in a bucket before use.

Make a very thick layer and then hand pack it down to make it less messy. You want about 3-4" after hand packing it down. It will be messy at first, but it will settle in after a week or two. They love to burrow down into it and this is very good for them. Don't be surprised when you can't find your tortoise! :p

janebartley

Newcastle Upon Tyne
You'll need to rehydrate it in a bucket before use.

Make a very thick layer and then hand pack it down to make it less messy. You want about 3-4" after hand packing it down. It will be messy at first, but it will settle in after a week or two. They love to burrow down into it and this is very good for them. Don't be surprised when you can't find your tortoise! :p

How do I go about rehydrating it? Sorry if it sounds like a really silly question I just want to make sure I get everything exactly right haha,

and the powersun light I have...because it's UVB and heat does that mean I don't need anything additional? I got very confused about the heating and lighting all of the numbers, strength bulbs ect.. it's hard getting used to, I was really certain I had a good idea what I was doing until the woman at the pet shop scrambled my brain

And I'd also just like to say Thankyou for all of the comments off everybody they have helped so much!

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
How do I go about rehydrating it? Sorry if it sounds like a really silly question I just want to make sure I get everything exactly right haha,

and the powersun light I have...because it's UVB and heat does that mean I don't need anything additional? I got very confused about the heating and lighting all of the numbers, strength bulbs ect.. it's hard getting used to, I was really certain I had a good idea what I was doing until the woman at the pet shop scrambled my brain

And I'd also just like to say Thankyou for all of the comments off everybody they have helped so much!

Just fill a bucket with water and drop it in :)

janebartley

Newcastle Upon Tyne
Thankyou! do I just squeeze it out after or will it soak it all up? And its alright for it to be damp when it's put in? Honestly sorry for all the questions! Just want to make sure I'm doing it 100% the right way

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Thankyou! do I just squeeze it out after or will it soak it all up? And its alright for it to be damp when it's put in? Honestly sorry for all the questions! Just want to make sure I'm doing it 100% the right way

Didn’t worry, questions are important! You could probably get away with squeezing it a bit so that it’s less messy. And yep, damp is great!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

Your new daily challenge will be to keep it at the correct level of dampness. If it dries out, it can be too dusty. But you don't want it sopping wet either. Gotta keep it just right.

An MVB and nothing else can be suitable for a russian tortoise as long as your house stays above 55-60 degrees at night.

Just be aware that some of them stop producing UV after about 3 months, even though they still light up. The only way to know is to check it with a UV meter.

tortoiseplanet

Earth
You can also use non treated mulch which is much more efficient and cheaper than what you get at pet stores. You can use that for babies but it’s better for adults.

janebartley

Newcastle Upon Tyne
Your new daily challenge will be to keep it at the correct level of dampness. If it dries out, it can be too dusty. But you don't want it sopping wet either. Gotta keep it just right.

An MVB and nothing else can be suitable for a russian tortoise as long as your house stays above 55-60 degrees at night.

Just be aware that some of them stop producing UV after about 3 months, even though they still light up. The only way to know is to check it with a UV meter.

So is the zoo med power sun suitable? £69.99 what does mvb stand for?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
So is the zoo med power sun suitable? £69.99 what does mvb stand for?
It's the type of bulb that the Zoo Med is - Mercury Vapor Bulb. This provides heat and UVB (Ultra violet 'B')all in one bulb, and has a ballast. Once it gets hot and you turn it off, you have to wait for it to cool down before the ballast allows it to turn back on.

Last edited:

janebartley

Newcastle Upon Tyne
I feel like im finally getting a good grasp on this lighting malarky now! Off subject but Dexter has been burrowed in the same corner practically all day (Itook him out to bathe him at around 11am and put him back under the light but he just went back to his corner and stayed there since) as far as I can gather he hasnt ate at all today could ot just be because its only his second day and still settling in?

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
I feel like im finally getting a good grasp on this lighting malarky now! Off subject but Dexter has been burrowed in the same corner practically all day (Itook him out to bathe him at around 11am and put him back under the light but he just went back to his corner and stayed there since) as far as I can gather he hasnt ate at all today could ot just be because its only his second day and still settling in?

He’s probably just still settling in :)