Heat pad verses heating lamp

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Toronto, Canada
For indoors or outdoors? Closed or open top enclosures?

I use a radiant heat panel indoors in a closed enclosure because it doesn't make a distinct hot spot and is as low of a fire/burn hazard as heaters come. It wouldn't work in an open space though but I like it for my setup.

LibbyCecil

Winnemucca Nevada
My baby is inside now, he has both heat pad and lamp. I use pad at night and light during the day. Just curious about the future for his outdoor home

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Tortoises heat themselves from the top, sun. Heating pads put on the floor is not recommended, as the tortoise, specially a baby may not realize he is getting too hot and could burn. If place above or even on a side wall, a Kane heating pad on a thermostat then it's much safer. What kind of heating pad are you using? If it's those kind that the pet store sell to place under aquariums, they tend to over heat and short out, not really recommended as safe.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
the lamp is better. The majority of blood vessels is in the tortoise shell where they get the heat from the Sun. they heat better with above heat then below
heat.

LibbyCecil

Winnemucca Nevada
Tortoises heat themselves from the top, sun. Heating pads put on the floor is not recommended, as the tortoise, specially a baby may not realize he is getting too hot and could burn. If place above or even on a side wall, a Kane heating pad on a thermostat then it's much safer. What kind of heating pad are you using? If it's those kind that the pet store sell to place under aquariums, they tend to over heat and short out, not really recommended as safe.
It's a heat wave, I have a tep. Gun to monitor his temps so I'm basically still doing that for him.

LibbyCecil

Winnemucca Nevada
I personally think I like the lamp (Or above heat sounds better I suppose) best. I'm still new, and see alot of conflicting info. Trying to weed it down a bit. Thanks for your input :)

Last edited:

LibbyCecil

Winnemucca Nevada
There are pros and cons for each....but they each also have their place...one of those tinkering items based on what you are trying to achieve...
I know I can't find much. So in the future when my sulcata lives outside, will a pig blanket be best or above heating? I like above heat now but would it be easier to have a warm spot for him with a below heat source while he is outside??

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Libby:

I never use heating pads of any kind for babies. They don't understand the concept of being able to move off of them if they get too hot. If you mount the pad on the wall it would be ok, but not on the floor.

The bigger tortoises don't have this problem. I use Stansfield heat mats for all my larger tortoises.

LibbyCecil

Winnemucca Nevada
Hi Libby:

I never use heating pads of any kind for babies. They don't understand the concept of being able to move off of them if they get too hot. If you mount the pad on the wall it would be ok, but not on the floor.

The bigger tortoises don't have this problem. I use Stansfield heat mats for all my larger tortoises.
Ok, thank you :)

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I know I can't find much. So in the future when my sulcata lives outside, will a pig blanket be best or above heating? I like above heat now but would it be easier to have a warm spot for him with a below heat source while he is outside??

I could not tell you from first hand...half the torts here bromate and the other half are still little, so within the next couple of years I will have a winter ready outdoor yard for the Redfoot, which will include a dirt floor with heating ropes along with a radiated heater mounted on a small concrete pad..I will also have a hot spot/basking spot area...so I suppose I will be utilizing warmth from below / above /ambient.....right now, two go out into their yard during the day during warm months and back inside just before dark and the two smaller ones go out for morning sun and then back inside to their enclosures when I am on my way out the door for work late am/early afternoon....

There are however lots of folks here on this forum that do utilize pig blankets with radiant heat as well as overhead heating element...I am really surprised that more have not jumped in???? Give it a little bit and I bet they will ;)

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
I prefer heat pad type heat over hot lights and CHEs. Heat pads of some type are the main heat source in my sulcatas five winter houses, Some are on the floor, some are against a wall, some are suspended above near the ceiling. The temp of each pad is regulated using a lamp dimmer or wall mount type dimmer switch.

LibbyCecil

Winnemucca Nevada
I prefer heat pad type heat over hot lights and CHEs. Heat pads of some type are the main heat source in my sulcatas five winter houses, Some are on the floor, some are against a wall, some are suspended above near the ceiling. The temp of each pad is regulated using a lamp dimmer or wall mount type dimmer switch.
Oh a dimmer, nice

Nephelle

Pittsburgh, PA
Just in case I made it confusing - I use an rbi radiant heat panel that is mounted from above, not an under tank heater. Radiant heat panels are kind of like ceramic heat emitters except they spread the heat out over a large area. http://www.reptilebasics.com/rbi-radiant-heat-panels

Thank you for posting that link, Sarah! I have been trying to get a handle on how these work and wasn't exactly sure where to start looking.

Just curious...would this option need to be mounted on wood or glass, or is it something that would work in a plastic tub set up?

Great thread, Libby!! :)