Heat problem baby sulcata

blu rodriguez

Location (City and/or State)
LA California
So i left my baby sulcata in the care of my boyfriend while i took my daughter to cheer pactice for 2 hours. When i got home I went to check on Shredder (african Sulcata) and i noticed the thermometer was at 97. When I left he was at 88. I paniked and pulled him out of his burrow to make sure he was ok, and turned off the heat lamps till it went down to 88. I watched him to make sure he was still behaving the same and he ate but Im still concerned. Will this cause pyramenting? or other health issues?:eek::tort:

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Nope you're good . The only problem if it got over heated . He was normal so its good . When you say the temperature got up to 97 was that the whole enclosure or just under the lamp? Sulcatas need a basking spot that temperature . In saying that he does need to be able to move out to a cooler part of the enclosure . I keep my basking spot at 97/100 but the other side is 79/80 . I never let the enclosure drop below 79.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
There are four temperatures that you need to know and adjust when needed. Basking area, warm side, cool side, and night. Where was it 88 and then 97?

The danger zone is over 100.

Pyramiding is caused by growth in conditions that are too dry, not by warm temperatures.