Heat sources to use at night for my Russian?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MamaPickles11

5 Year Member
My Russian is in a rubbermaid tub and I was wonderig what I could use at night to keep her warm. I can't leave the light on because she'll stay up all night and I've heard heating rocks are bad when it comes to Russian Tortoises. Does anyone have any ideas? Could I use a heating pad even though her enclosure is plastic? Thanks!

kanalomele

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
East Bay area
Russians like to cool down at night. Unless your house gets below 60degrees there is no need for heat at night.

amanda712

5 Year Member
Southern CA
kanalomele said:
Russians like to cool down at night. Unless your house gets below 60degrees there is no need for heat at night.
I'm having the same questions. But I'm pretty sure my house gets about 55 at night. We haven't turned the heat on yet because it's still pretty warm during the day. I have a 25 watt night heat lamp that I have, but in his hide on the cool side where he sleeps at night I'm wondering if I put a heat pad there if it might help keep him warmer. He was quite sluggish this morning, so I'm worried he might get sick if it's not warm enough.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
How old is your tort? How long have you had her? How are you housing her now? (i ask this because in your prior post I see her in a smallish glass tank yet here you mention rubbermaid? ) What type of substrate are you using?

If you are wanting to provide night heat you can use a black night light (they produce heat but little to no light), you can use a red head light--these put off a bit more light and some don't like them--you can also use heat ropes under the substrate or you can use a ceramic heat emitter...these are options you can utilize if you find you are reaching temps at night that are too cold for your tort (if being overwintered and not brumated)....

Yes, cooler temps at night is ok, however, if you keep your enclosure moist (the substrate) at all I would not keep low temps in the evening...just my feelings on that...

MamaPickles11

5 Year Member
ascott said:
How old is your tort? How long have you had her? How are you housing her now? (i ask this because in your prior post I see her in a smallish glass tank yet here you mention rubbermaid? ) What type of substrate are you using?

If you are wanting to provide night heat you can use a black night light (they produce heat but little to no light), you can use a red head light--these put off a bit more light and some don't like them--you can also use heat ropes under the substrate or you can use a ceramic heat emitter...these are options you can utilize if you find you are reaching temps at night that are too cold for your tort (if being overwintered and not brumated)....

Yes, cooler temps at night is ok, however, if you keep your enclosure moist (the substrate) at all I would not keep low temps in the evening...just my feelings on that...

I don't know how old she is because I got her from the pet store but I have had her for a year. The picture on my introduction post is from when I first got her and I've since moved her into a rubbermaid because she outgrew the tank. I use the coconut husk substrate which she does bury herself under her log and substrate at night. I'm sure she's ok at night I just worry about her.

Status
Not open for further replies.