Heated bowl vs heat mat

mini_max

Location (City and/or State)
Alberta, Canada
I am thinking of sinking a heated pet bowl into the dirt in my outdoor hide. Max likes to burrow, and it should keep the dirt in the bowl a bit warmer right? It is that or an outdoor small pet heating mat. Thoughts?
@Yvonne G , your name comes up in a lot of heat mat threads. What do you think?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I don't know what a heated bowl is. Would that be like a waterer that keeps the water from freezing in the winter? If that's the case, I wouldn't try it. I know I'm not in the majority, but I use insulated sheds that I can stand up in to clean out. I have pig blankets on the floor and I hang a 250 watt red brooder bulb from the ceiling. The bulb is high, about 5' off the ground. This heats up the air inside the shed just fine. I've been using red bulbs for a very long time and have had no problems with them. Once my tortoises go into their shed for the night, I block the door so they can't come back out. There is nothing in there for them to eat, so the red colored light isn't encouraging them to eat their substrate. In fact, there is no substrate. The floor is covered with a 1" thick rubber horse stall mat. The tortoises go to sleep until morning.

mini_max

Alberta, Canada
Here is the bowl I speak of: http://www.amazon.ca/Farm-Innovator...sbs_199_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=1C5F7H3Q35H09CPEW6V7

I am considering this because he's used to burrowing to sleep. I thought if I sunk this in his hide and filled it, it would keep the ground a bit warmer. This is just for the summer, so it's never going to get that cold. 50s is probably the worst, but I just want to keep him comfortable.

I'm also considering this: http://www.amazon.ca/Heated-Resting...sim_199_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=1D30TQBCF3DE0CFKHA9M