Heated night box is nearing completion.

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
California
Nice job! I like the doorway at the end of the box. Gives a deep, burrow like chamber for your tortoise.

mushmouth26

5 Year Member
Texas
Ive got the ambient set at 81F.. I have a 20x20 heat mat set for 90F in the corner

Turtle16

So is there any hope for him? They give any advice on getting him healthy enough to go thru de-worming? :( Is the shell soft?
The vet said yesterday in order for him to be able to get better and be a bit stronger for the dosage was to become hydrated and be able to keep more than 50% in him over a 24 hour period. The vet stated that without hydration, he wouldn't be able to digest any nutrients so hydration is a must for recovery. The vet filled his little stomach full of a critical care nutrient package and his colon full of water and asked to see him this morning to see how much was retained over night. I took him in this morning thinking my only option was to put him down due to no progress yesterday or this morning (he is not able to pick his head up and if he has to walk, its for one or two steps). After expressing my thoughts on the situation, upon arrival at the vet this morning, he asked what my budget was. After telling him I prepared myself to put him down, the vet said he is going to die so the vet wanted to try the dosage even though it may kill him as well. That was the only option for survival for little Blake. I watched the vet give him the dosage and he was kept at the vet for the day and overnight in an incubator. I have not received a call yet today, which means he has not passed yet :D If he survives the night, I will move forward tomorrow with oral meds and injections due to the severity of the hookworms, The vet told me I will have to force feed for the next couple of weeks until majority of the worms are gone. His diet will be majority all calcium based do to how small he is for being 2 years (he is 100 grams).

I pray he makes it through the night because I know with my knowledge on the species and my love, he will have such a great life compared to how he was treated at his other home.

I will keep you updated on his status :)

Turtle16

Here is a comparison in my hand to how big he is. Compared to my 9 year old sulcata, he was that size at like 6 months and weighed more as well

Attachments

• 20141012_112650.jpg
    20141012_112650.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 16

mushmouth26

5 Year Member
Texas
Wow.. Do keep us posted.. I applaud your efforts.. I think the hydration is key at this point..

Turtle16

The little guy passed early early this morning, his little body wasn't strong enough for the dosage :'(