Heating Cold Weather Tortoise House's

Len B

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
I have 5 sulcatas that live outside all year and this year we are having what I would call a normal winter. Temperature's have actually been below average, a few days straight below freezing with a low of 19F last night. I've been keeping track of the wattage being used to keep them warm for a couple weeks now. For all 5 house's it's been around 575 watts on average. Some using more than others. I don't use separate thermostats everything is on rheostates. This way the wattage use is constant and not fluctuating up and down. 2 of the houses have a Stanfield heat mat a chicken brooder heater from Tractor Supply and as small electric oil radiator heater. One has a Stanfield mat a oil filled heater and a CHE. One has a Stanfield mat a a couple heated tiles that I made. And the last one is heated with just my home made heated ceramic tiles. The inside temps are reading at this moment 86.9, 85, 86,7 85, 91. I feel that the proper insulation and layout of the heaters is what helps my system work and keeps the electric use low and affordable.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
What size sheds/hides are they?
I use two oil filled radiators to heat a 20x10 approx shed with 6 foot ceilings. Used to only use one heater. The new one I bought doesn't seem to heat as well as all my other ones used too.
During the day there is added heat because of their basking lights.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
I use two oil filled radiators to heat a 20x10 approx shed with 6 foot ceilings. Used to only use one heater. The new one I bought doesn't seem to heat as well as all my other ones used too.

8x8, 4x6, 5x6, 3x4, 2.5 x 3 feet. Check the wattage on your new heater I bought a new heater this year from Amazon and they sent me a large one instead of the mini I ordered. I didn't send it back I just ordered another mini. I used the the new large one where the puppies were and it seemed to work fine. Anyway after moving it to the kitchen where I brought the puppies it didn't work so good. I looked and it's only a 700.watt heater at max. It looks just like the 1500 watt heaters.