Heating for 10x10 enclosure in winter

WasagaRedfoot

Location (City and/or State)
Wasaga Beach ON
Hello!

We have a 10 year old Redfoot tortoise named Humphrey and we live in Canada.
Currently he spends the warm months (May to September usually) outside in our tortoise proof back yard. When it's too cold or during winter, he lives in a 4x4 raised garden bed enclosure inside.

He has outgrown his indoor enclosure. My husband and I are in the planning stages of converting the back room in our attached garage into his winter enclosure. We are about to begin insulating the floors, ceiling and walls. But we aren't sure about heating.
The room will be well insulated but the garage isn't heated. Being in Canada, it gets pretty cold so we are looking at ways to keep his enclosure properly heated. I have looked into ceramic chicken coop heater bulbs that we can hang from the ceiling, or wall mounted coop heaters, etc.

I am curious what others with large enclosures that are otherwise unheated have done. I appreciate any tips and advice.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I like the combination oil filled electric radiator space heater accompanied with a radiant heat panel

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
How large of a space? And is it raised up off if the concrete pad? Concrete pads are heat sinks and are apt to suck in/down much of your heat. Sooo, you want to make sure the floor surface is very very well insulated.

Then, insulate your room thoroughly & shrink the height. Remember, hot air rises…so, think about shrinking the room size, insulating the floor, reduce the height. Oil filled radiators, some radiant heat panels and maybe a Kane heat mat or two.

Horse stall mats make very good initial insulation for the floor surface.