Heating for indoors enclosure night time?

Box turtle

Location (City and/or State)
Minnesota
Hello everyone,

I am finishing off my indoor enclosure for my box turtle and was wondering if anyone has any ideas/suggestions what would be the the best method keep the temperature stable during the night time. (My house temperature is about mid/high 60's -low 70's during the night time).

I was planning on using a thermostat (Zoomed reptitemp digital thermostat?) with a CHE ( 100w or 150w). However I have been reading a lot conflicting information on the use of CHE for box turtles mentioning that is not ideal because is too dry and some other disadvantages as well. I read some comments mentioning to use a "warm humidifier" instead.

Ideally I would like to keep a low budget. Please feel free to share any links to any products.

I am attaching a a picture of their enclosure, which is not finished yet, still waiting for the lighting systems and water filtration system to arrive.

Thanks in advance,

Attachments

• IMG_4612.JPG
    IMG_4612.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 15
Last edited:

K1LOS

Ontario
I use a ceramic heater on an extension cord that has an inline dimmer, I just got it at Walmart. I only adjust it for the start of winter and the start of summer, it stays where it is set for the rest of the season. IMO you don't want a completely constant temperature like you'd get from a thermostat, there should be something of a nighttime drop if the goal is to emulate nature. My thermostat for the house is programmed to drop a few degrees when we are asleep, which allows the CHE to remain constant and still achieve a minor temp drop in the cage.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
I have numerous box turtles who spend the daytime outside in a pen and they come in at night...in the winter they stay in and I use 100 watt CHE's at night...but in spring and summer they don't have additional heat...
also...in the picture that water dish looks pretty unavailable to any turtle or tortoise I'm thinking...sides are way to high...in the tort tables in my house I use either Frisbee's or paint roller pans for water...box turtles love spending time in the water...and will just sit there...hth