Heating for my enclosure that’s in garage

Batsos123

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Huntington, ny
Have a 6 by 2 enclosure for my 4 Indian stars all over 5 inches. Currently I have 2 che’s and 1 basking light. Looking for a way to heat. The enclosure is a feeding tub and I have 3/4 covered with wood . Currently looking at temps of 78 to 87 with it being 50 degrees outside. Worried about temp dropping into the 40’s and 30’s . C3F5A4EC-2D09-4055-8887-EAC4BFC50BD6.jpeg

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
Regardless of how you heat it, I'd use something set up similarly to a grow tent to reduce the area you need to heat. Basically making a room within a room. And completely cover the top of the enclosure.

Second; I'd set the enclosure on foam insulation, and wrap the sides with some sort of insulation. However you covered the top would also include insulation.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
That enclosure is way to small for that many tortoises. That water bowl also should be swapped out for a couple large clay saucers like what goes under flower pots. A regular bigger box type hide, something like Tom's night boxes should be used for them to sleep in and also should be heated. If their diet is what I see in the pic, that needs a lot of improvement also.
I suggest doing as Jaizei suggested, a room within a room. A large, like 10x15 or 10x20 pop up greenhouse with insulation board on the floor with a tarp over it and then substrate and a oil filled portable radiator type heater on a thermostat along with basking lights inside the garage would give proper space and should give proper heat.
Then I would look into building them a proper sized winter insulated heated shed next summer.