heating pad on the side of the tank

Status
Not open for further replies.

CourtneyAndCarl

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Middle of nowhere
I am unhappy with the temperature in Carl's enclosure by a few degrees. The ambient temperature on the warm side is around 80, with a basking spot at 92. The basking spot temp is fine, I have actually never seen Carl bask under it, but I was thinking of putting an UTH on the side of the tank just to raise the ambient a little higher.

First of all, would this work? And would I put the heat pad on the inside of the glass or the outside?

Last but not least, this particular heat pad has been used before, and while it still works like a charm, the adhesive doesn't work anymore. Is there anything I can use (like aquarium sealant or similar) to stick it to the side of the tank without damaging the pad or lessening it's effectiveness?

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
I have had success using aluminum tape (foil tape) to adhere used UTHs back to glass tanks, and know others have as well.. Someone once suggested this to be unadvisable since aluminum foil is a conductive material, but I have never heard of any negative effects from doing so.

Black electrical tape is okay, but it tends to come loose and warp.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Your ambient temps sounds fine to me. Your basking is what I think should be higher, 95+.

Status
Not open for further replies.