Heating the tank question

Status
Not open for further replies.

kjr153

5 Year Member
My baby Sulcata is in a 40gal. The max heat I can reach is 87-90F and that is when the fogger is off. When the fogger is on it goes down to about 82F. I have a 100W CHE and a 100W UVB bulb. Both are on the same side of the tank. On the other side I have the screen covered with aluminum foil to keep the heat and humidity in. I have had suggestions about moving the lights down further but how can I really do that when the lights are sitting on a screen top to the tank? Suggestions and advice welcome :)

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
how can I really do that when the lights are sitting on a screen top to the tank? Suggestions and advice welcome

You can not...:D Is there any way that you can hang your lights so they are adjustable over the enclosure? Like on a chain from the ceiling above? Or from the wall if the enclosure rests close to the wall---You can use a plant hanger arm for this if you use the wall ....this will allow you to adjust the height for the CHE---I mean you don't want to monkey with the UVB light too much, after all if you lower that light too low then you will be forcing too intense of rays on the tort and if you move that light up too high you will lose the uv rays effectiveness ....you know what I mean,....

I am amazed that the temps don't get crazy hot....I used, and then returned, 100W CHEs that I set up for the redfoot babies here--- just dried out the air too much and too fast for the heat trade off (for my area here in the desert anyway)

Is there a reason you are using the screens? I mean are you using the screen simply for a place for the lights to rest on or do you have dogs and cats that will get into the enclosure????

kjr153

5 Year Member
Thanks for the info! The only reason I am using the screen is for the light fixtures to rest on. No dogs or cats. I really like the plant hanger idea. I am really amazed that the temps don't get crazy hot too.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
You might find it getting too hot once you move that screen out of the way. Are you running the CHE on a thermostat?

pspryu101

5 Year Member
Left Coast :)
I have a 40 gal too and I reach optimal temperature no problem. Ambient room temp in my room is about 68f. Is it cold in your area? The way I got mines setup is I have my 100w CHE right in the middle hooked up on a thermostat, my 100w MVB on the basking side and a 50w basking bulb on a dimmer at about halfway on the cool side to give the tank a bit more light, also I covered the whole top screen with alum foil and cut out holes for the lamp fixtures.

kjr153

5 Year Member
I am in Kentucky, so yes it is cold right now. I do not have it on a thermostat.

pspryu101

5 Year Member
Left Coast :)
kjr153 said:
I am in Kentucky, so yes it is cold right now. I do not have it on a thermostat.

Probably should turn your house heater on higher temps then especially at night time

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
I reach perfect temps in a 40gal with screen lid covered minus the holes cut out for light/CHE fixtures.

I have found that making a hill of dirt with the basking rock on top making it closer to the screen/light sometimes helps. A few inches closer can do wonders.

kjr153

5 Year Member
Hey, good idea. I am going to do that. I have lots of bricks of Coco Coir at home so I'll just add like five inches. :) Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.