heating/thermostat questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

jjsull33

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Denver, Colorado
I'm setting up a closed chamber for a redfoot, the substrate is on top of light diffusion panels and mesh to create an area for water to drip into and evaporate back up. I'm going to put heat rope in that area too to help the process, there is also some pvc in the corners to work as vents and keep the bottom from becoming stagnant incase of over watering or something like that, also to keep wires hidden/away from torts. I am also going to have 2 100watt che hooked up to a zilla 1000watt thermostat set for 82.

My question is can I hook the heat rope to the same thermostat as the che? The thermostat has 3 plugs so I know it fits and takes 1000 watts where I'm only plugging in 250 or so total, so I'm not worried about the mechanics of it, I am referring to the placement of the probe, will it be ok to have the heat rope hooked to the same probe that is in the main enclosure even though the rope is in the bottom area? Or do I need to get another thermostat for the rope? On that note do I even need the heat rope or will the fact that it has 2 inches of space between the bottom and the substrate plus vents be enough for it to air out and keep humidity up?

Beck

10 Year Member!
Lakeland/Central FL
If you don't have the red foot in there now, you can try it and watch the temperatures.

I have a false bottom enclosure with heat ropes and water in the bottom. They are connected to just a basic dimmer switch from home depot. I did this because I didn't want all the heat coming from the bottom of the enclosure. You may want to use a rheostat... I am unsure if a basic dimmer will decrease the longevity of the cables. You may not need one at all. Hooking it up to the thermostat may work. If you're not overloading the system, the best way is to just try it out (without the tort!). I definitely had to play around with my system.

The heat ropes need to be completely covered in either substrate or water (make sure they are waterproof) or they will burn out. I added activated carbon that they use in aquarium filters to keep the water from going foul.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using TortForum mobile app

I never tried without heat ropes, but I will tell you that I love my system with them. I never mist the substrate, the bottom layer of substrate is moist and warm, the top layer is dry. Humidity is 95-99% in the closed area and never drops below 75% in the area with open slots on the top. I add water once a week to the bottom.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using TortForum mobile app

jjsull33

5 Year Member
Denver, Colorado
I'm going to try it without the heat rope for now, if it turns out I do need it I will probably attach a heat pad underneath the enclosure instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.