heating....

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeremyjtaylor

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Upstate NY, USA
I was planning on providing mine (Redfoot) a basking bulb (incandescent type) and a compact-fluorescent UVB bulb. Is this a good combination? Also, for nighttime heating, in addition to an under-tank heater, would I be better off with an infrared bulb or a ceramic heat emitter? And how much cooler should the area where the hide is located be? Should the hide be on the other end of the habitat from the night heat source(s) or nearer to them? I live in upstate NY, so the winter months are my biggest concern. My apartment is fairly warm and humid during the late spring to early fall months....

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
You can use a MVB for the day like a Powersun then a ceramic heater at night are you using a humid hide if so put it near the heat humid and cold is bad

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Jeremy:

In my opinion, the compact fluorescent bulb should not be used. When they first came out they caused blindness in baby tortoises. They have supposedly been fixed since then, however how do you know you are buying a new one and not one of the old ones. Quite a few redfoot keepers use a tube-type fluorescent. Terryo is a good one to copy. Here's just one link to her habitats:

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-Pio-s-new-vivarium

Status
Not open for further replies.