Heating

ashbelys

5 Year Member
I'm looking for opinions on heating lamps. I had an infrared bulb but it exploded this morning all through my tank. I'm not sure I want to buy another one and risk injury to my turtles. Any other suggestions/opinions/options? It's for water turtles to be specific.

TortsNTurtles

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
North East
Would a CHE work? They are a hard ceramic not a bulb so it's harder to break. I am not sure if it's ok to be used with the water turtles basking area or not.

ashbelys

5 Year Member
I have one and it gets hot but it doesn't project the heat very well. It hardly heats the basking area at all.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
There are bulbs made specifically for water environments (incase it gets splashed and such...likely what happen to your bulb)...or you can use a basking bulb and be sure to place it at least 12 inches above the basking spot....if you need to get a stronger one to offer the basking temp at a higher level then that is an option as well....

What a pain, I bet that was a pain to have to drain the tank and wipe it clean of glass....icccckkkk...

ashbelys

5 Year Member
I will be sure to look into those. I actually have a friend caring for them while I'm visiting family for the holidays and it was quite the text to receive on Christmas morning. I'm pretty sure I had a mini heart attack, but my friend assured me my babies are fine.