Heidi crossed the Rainbow Bridge

jmu114

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Riverside County, Southern California
I am so devastated and didn’t know where else to turn, so here I am. A few of you may remember my thread from 12 years ago about Heidi, Frosty and Frank. Great folks here helped me save the 3 hatchlings whom were near death. Heidi was the weakest hatchling but she eventually pulled through, becoming the strongest and the largest tort out of the 3.

We found Heidi flipped and deceased this morning.

We usually check on them morning and evening, but skipped checking last night. I don’t know if it would have made a difference but I am wondering if we could have saved him still.

We have separate enclosures and separate food and water source for each tort since they are all male, and Frosty and Heidi like to fight each other.

Recently, Frosty wants to bully Heidi. Yesterday, we found frosty in the same enclosure and he has scratches on the carapace. I am assuming Frosty somehow got in (how is a mystery ) and they fought. I assume Heidi was flipped sometime in the afternoon in the extreme heat (H 107) and could not flip back over.

We plan to cremate him. I miss him dearly and I thank Heidi for giving us 12 years of joy and happiness. Thank you for listening. I thought you might understand better than my immediate circle of friends and family.

9A5826B0-5C94-4B7A-BC95-5BB2E37710C9.jpeg

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
So very sorry. Some of these tortoises will get to anything they have their minds set on, no matter what we do.
Luckily they have you that was able to give them a longer life then what they may have had with someone else.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
We truly do understand, and I am so sorry you've lost Heidi in such a way.

You are correct...sometimes family and friends try to diminish the terrible loss you are feeling, but we know the pain. We've been there.

Grieve for him as long as you need to. Don't let anyone else tell you when "you should move on".

Eventually, you will feel better, on your timeline.

jmu114

10 Year Member!
We truly do understand, and I am so sorry you've lost Heidi in such a way.

You are correct...sometimes family and friends try to diminish the terrible loss you are feeling, but we know the pain. We've been there.

Grieve for him as long as you need to. Don't let anyone else tell you when "you should move on".

Eventually, you will feel better, on your timeline.
Thank you, Karen. I appreciate your words and understanding. This forum has always been so supportive and the one place I felt safe to be vulnerable about this loss.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
So very sorry for your sad loss, sounds like you did everything to try to keep her safe. Take care

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm so very sorry to hear this Jessica. He had a bad start, but really turned his life around under your care. It's too bad he got turned over. I've lost a couple of them that way and kept kicking myself. . . if only. . . what if I. . .

But really, it happened, and it's over now. You have a great picture to remember him by, and he was a beauty!

jmu114

10 Year Member!
Thanks, Yvonne. You were instrumental in guiding me back then and I will always remember that. Because of the rough time we shared, Heidi has a special place in my heart. Just earlier today, my husband kept saying, if I… if … and can’t help but feel partly responsible. I know time will heal, but in the meantime, being here helps a lot. Thanks again.

Pebbles Roberts

Platinum Tortoise Club
Beckenham, Unitd kingdom
I am so devastated and didn’t know where else to turn, so here I am. A few of you may remember my thread from 12 years ago about Heidi, Frosty and Frank. Great folks here helped me save the 3 hatchlings whom were near death. Heidi was the weakest hatchling but she eventually pulled through, becoming the strongest and the largest tort out of the 3.

We found Heidi flipped and deceased this morning.

We usually check on them morning and evening, but skipped checking last night. I don’t know if it would have made a difference but I am wondering if we could have saved him still.

We have separate enclosures and separate food and water source for each tort since they are all male, and Frosty and Heidi like to fight each other.

Recently, Frosty wants to bully Heidi. Yesterday, we found frosty in the same enclosure and he has scratches on the carapace. I am assuming Frosty somehow got in (how is a mystery ) and they fought. I assume Heidi was flipped sometime in the afternoon in the extreme heat (H 107) and could not flip back over.

We plan to cremate him. I miss him dearly and I thank Heidi for giving us 12 years of joy and happiness. Thank you for listening. I thought you might understand better than my immediate circle of friends and family.

View attachment 349473
Oh that’s a tragedy. You must be feeling so low. At least you can comfort yourself in the knowledge that you nurtured him and you gave each other joy for 12 years.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Thanks, Yvonne. You were instrumental in guiding me back then and I will always remember that. Because of the rough time we shared, Heidi has a special place in my heart. Just earlier today, my husband kept saying, if I… if … and can’t help but feel partly responsible. I know time will heal, but in the meantime, being here helps a lot. Thanks again.
My large Sulcata died some years ago and it was asked if I wanted to cremate him...nope, he's buried in my yard, all 100+ pounds of him. A small tort like your Gopherus...he'd be buried in the yard. I'm very sorry for your loss...