Helllllpppp (runny nose, goopy eyes)

Bobbiejo3092

Location (City and/or State)
Benfleet, Essex, United Kingdom
Hey guys.
Sorry this is a bit long.
I have a beautiful horsefield. She's about 4/5 years old. I've had her around 2 years after she was bought for my nephew and they just couldn't look after her. They already have a Herman tort and he's thriving. He's never had any lights or heat and he's perfect. But she couldn't cope she kept digging down and sleeping a lot. So I took her. She's now in a nice big tortoise table and she has a heat lamp and a uv lamp. She's grown so much. She's always got a runny nose. I think she was badly bred as before I got her she was back n forth to the shop all the time with gooey eyes and runny nose. I give her daily baths with reptoboost and also put it in her drinking water. I also sprinkle reptavite on her food. Yet she's still not right. I've taken her shelter out to try encourage her to come out. And I often try waking her up to encourage her to eat. But she's sleeping most of the day. And hardly eating. Everytime I wake her up she blows bubbles from her nose. I don't know what else to do. Anyone got any advice or tips I can try. Or would people suggest a trip to the vet?? I just want my girl to be happy and healthy please hellp

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
This illness was caused by inappropriate housing conditions. They are lucky their other tortoise isn't sick in its perpetual winter.

There are two ways to go:
1. If you find a good tortoise vet (no easy feat...) they can give medicine that can speed recovery. They can also do damage and give "vitamin" injections that often do more harm than good. Be careful what you allow and who you use. Make sure the vet is also a tortoise keeper and has tortoise experience.
2. Offer the appropriate conditions and hopefully the tortoises immune system will heal it. You need to simulate summer temps and daylight cycles. Keep that tortoise warm day and night.

Give the tortoise back its hide. Not having a hide can seriously stress it out. Are you soaking? What sort of UV bulb are you using? The coil types can burn their eyes and make them want to hide all day.

Here are some threads that might help.
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

Bobbiejo3092

Benfleet, Essex, United Kingdom
There tortoise is fine. He's been kept like this for about 4 years. And he's perfect. Very active eats fine. It's my poor baby that's suffering and she has all the right stuff. I do have a cool bulb I will change this and see if it makes a difference. I have her heat on 12 hours a day but il up it to 24/7 then if no change il take her to the vets. Thanks

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
There tortoise is fine. He's been kept like this for about 4 years. And he's perfect. Very active eats fine.
These guys hide illness well and for a long time... He's probably not perfectly fine. Eventually he will show outward symptoms of the neglectful care.

Glad you are taking steps to improve the care of yours.