Hello again new member with new baby Hermann tort have questions

Copper

Location (City and/or State)
Nothern Illinois
Yea our baby Hermann Tortoise, Simon has arrived!! I promised pictures would come soon on my introduction thread so here they are, I hope you all enjoy them :)

I have a few questions to anyone who would like to give some advice. Simon's wooden enclosure is 2ft by 4ft and we are using coco coir on the bottom, my question is what temps should I keep the overall enclosure , the warm up spot and overall humidity level? I also need to get a better thermometer any advice on a good one? do I need more then one? last question is how often should I soak him, and for how long? If anyone could help that would be so greatly appreciated.

Thank You and here is our baby Simon

Attachments

• Simon 2014.JPG
    Simon 2014.JPG
    201.6 KB · Views: 73
  • simon's house.JPG
    simon's house.JPG
    161.9 KB · Views: 78
  • Simon First Day.JPG
    Simon First Day.JPG
    241.2 KB · Views: 70

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
Welcome and CONGRATULATIONS on your new little cutie!

There is a really good Hermann's Tortoise Care Sheet at the beginning of the Hermann's section here. The poster, Hermanii Chris, is a VERY experienced and respected breeder of Hermann's tortoises, so that is the perfect place to start!

I notice you let him walk around on the floor of your home. There is a lot of controversy about this. Some keepers do this but many don't. There are lots of ways a baby could get injured and things they could swallow that they shouldn't. It's also cool and dry on most floors, and babies especially need to be in a warm, humid environment.

He really is a little beauty, isn't he? :)

Copper

Nothern Illinois
Thank you so much Pam and Moonzillion for your replies :) Pam, I promise I do not let him walk around the house on the floor I just had him out to get a few really good close up pictures. I will make sure he stays in his enclosure at all times until he is bigger, thank you for the great advice. I will also check out the Hermann Tortoise care sheet you recommended. I was hoping someone would put me in the right direction on where to go/read info from a respected Hermann breeder, so much info out there but not sure which is good and not good advice.
I do have another question maybe you could answer, we have an outdoor wooden enclosure in our backyard with some shaded spots and editable clover, marigold and cat grass that we planted ourselves from seeds. I live in Northern Illinois so most of the year Simon unfortunately will be indoors :(
but during the summer like now its in the upper 80's and low 90's. Is it too soon to let him out? If so how many hours do you recommended ?
I really appreciate all your advice ,
thanks again!

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
I have not had babies- I got Elsa when she was 4 inches long- probably 3-4 years old then.

I would think that a baby could be outside all day but you've got to be sure of your temperatures at different times of day in his enclosure. Check out the Forum section on Enclosures for examples and discussion that will help you figure out what's best for your area. He should probably be brought in at night. Baby torts are a "high quality protein source" for LOTS of animals!

Copper

Nothern Illinois
Hi Moozillion! I will check out enclosures and discussions on Hermann torts to help me figure it out, thank you! I figured it was probably not best to leave him out at night, the nights here in the summer are still pretty cool.
Thanks again as always :)

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello cooper welcome to the TFO fromAZ . Let see how some Herrmanns live out side in AZ
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1403331550.614074.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum

Copper

Nothern Illinois
What good looking Hermann tortoise's you have Grandpa Turtle, I do hope my Simon will grow big and healthy like your Hermanns, thank you for sharing the great photo.

Lady Thompson

5 Year Member
Awwww Simon is adorable. :) I have a little one too. He is 3 months old - Ormond. :)

I'm still figuring things out myself. This is a great forum.

Flipper

MO, USA
Hi :) Simon is precious :<3: I just got a baby Herman's about 10 days ago :D They are great fun!

So, I'd soak him daily in Luke warm water for 20-30 minutes. I'd also cover the top of your enclosure with plexiglass or aluminum foil to keep the humidity up. Live plants on the enclosure can also help keep the humidity higher. I got my thermometer/ hygrometer combo at Home Depot for about $10. Ideally, you have one in the basking area and one in the cooler area. Otherwise, you have to move it back and forth. Another thing people keep with their torts is a cuttle bone for calcium. Those are found in pet stores in the bird section.

Good luck. I'm a newbie, but this is what I've learned so far :)

Copper

Nothern Illinois
Hi Flipper!! Thank you for writing, I would never have thought to put plexiglass or aluminum over the cage to help keep in humidity, great idea I will try it. Thanks for advice on getting a thermometer at Home Depot, your right I figured I would probably need two, thanks for the confirmation :)
You are new as well to TF, welcome fellow newbie! How old is your new Hermann tort? Thank you for your nice comments about Simon, what is your torts name, pics? Thank you again!!

Flipper

MO, USA
I'm glad to be able to help :)

Tallula is my Dalmatian Hermann's from Chris on this forum. I believe she's pushing 7 months old :p here are a couple pics.

Does Simon tuck himself into bed very early? Lol. Tallula does. Such a baby!

uploadfromtaptalk1403397884921.jpg
And this pic of her attacking her food cracks me up ;) I wish it wasn't so blurry
uploadfromtaptalk1403397929425.jpg

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Hello and Welcome. Please see my Hermanns having their dinner. I love Hermanns. they are so friendly.

IMG_0037.JPG

Flipper

MO, USA
BouaBoua, what did you sprinkle on your greens?

PS. What does your user name mean? :)

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Hay Power I made by using a old blander to pulverize some dry Timothy hay and Orchard Hay. And ZOOMED grassland tortoise food.

And That is what my wife call me and I add a letter to confuse myself or others. Hahahahahaha.....

Flipper

MO, USA
Hay Power I made by using a old blander to pulverize some dry Timothy hay and Orchard Hay. And ZOOMED grassland tortoise food.

And That is what my wife call me and I add a letter to confuse myself or others. Hahahahahaha.....
Oh, I get your name now! ;)

Thanks for the explanation about the food :)

Copper

Nothern Illinois
I'm glad to be able to help :)

Tallula is my Dalmatian Hermann's from Chris on this forum. I believe she's pushing 7 months old :p here are a couple pics.

Does Simon tuck himself into bed very early? Lol. Tallula does. Such a baby!

View attachment 84597
And this pic of her attacking her food cracks me up ;) I wish it wasn't so blurry
View attachment 84598
Oh my love it! Wow what a beautiful tortoise, love her markings!! Yes too funny, Simon buries himself every night in his bedding about 5:30-6:00pm, for the night. Is that about the same time for Tullula? You mentioned you received Tallula from "Chris" on this forum, is he the well known Hermann tortoise breeder I have heard people mention?
I was thinking about what you said about putting aluminum or pexiglass over Sherman's habitat to keep up the humidity level but worried it might make it too hot? should I just cover part of it?
Thanks again Flipper!

Flipper

MO, USA
Oh my love it! Wow what a beautiful tortoise, love her markings!! Yes too funny, Simon buries himself every night in his bedding about 5:30-6:00pm, for the night. Is that about the same time for Tullula? You mentioned you received Tallula from "Chris" on this forum, is he the well known Hermann tortoise breeder I have heard people mention?
I was thinking about what you said about putting aluminum or pexiglass over Sherman's habitat to keep up the humidity level but worried it might make it too hot? should I just cover part of it?
Thanks again Flipper!
No Tallula is an early riser (like me) and she's in her nest for the night between 1:30-4. If I takes her out side for sunshine and a romp it's on the earlier side LOL! Yes Hermani Chris from GardenStatatetortoise.com is the person I got her from. Baby tortoises do like it on the warm side. The only way to know is to try with the foil or plexiglass and then check temps. Good luck!

Copper

Nothern Illinois
Wow Tallula does go to bed early and so funny because just today Simon was buried for the night by 2:30, for him that is early. Is Tallula the only tortoise you have? What does she seem to like to eat?

Flipper

MO, USA
Wow Tallula does go to bed early and so funny because just today Simon was buried for the night by 2:30, for him that is early. Is Tallula the only tortoise you have? What does she seem to like to eat?
That is funny. I must have sent a subliminal message. Yes, she is the only tortoise I've ever owned.

We are still figuring out her diet. She's only pooped twice since she's been with me :eek: She loves arugala. I've fed dandilion greens and flowers, and plantain greens from outside. I tried basil, grape leaves and next time I go to the store I plan to buy kale. I just placed an order with tortoise supply.com. I orders some cactus pads and dried herb stuff you sprinkle on top of the greens. I'm also thinking about buying some seeds to grow in pans outside to take clippings of while the weather is still nice.

What have you been feeding Simon.