Hello again new member with new baby Hermann tort have questions

Copper

Location (City and/or State)
Nothern Illinois
Ha! Yes I think Simon picked up on your early to bed subliminal messages :)
You have done a great job of introducing so many great foods to Tallula, I have only had Simon for four days now and he did not eat anything until later on day two. As for now all I have given him to eat is organic baby lettuce variety. I would like to try new things on Simon soon , like Kale and Cactus pads, let me know how Tallula likes the foods you ordered. I will also have to check out Tortoise Supply. com as well.
Simon is so weird, he eats better if I had feed him the lettuce or set it down on the coco coir bedding, he does not like to eat out of his food dish, strange huh?
You say Tallula has not gone to the bathroom much since you have had her? Do you soak her every day? Simon poops as soon as he hits the soak dish and sometimes multiple times while in it.
Talk to you soon

Flipper

MO, USA
Yay! She pooped while I was at work yesterday ;) I do soak her daily for 20-30 minutes. I'm not sure about her bowl habits. Maybe she'll be an every other day pooper! Rofl!

I'll let you know about how my new shipment goes :D

Oh, I wanted to tell you that I don't feed her in a "dish" but on a piece of slate tile I bought at Home Depot. Its a foot square :)

Copper

Nothern Illinois
Yay Tallula pooped!!!! Yes, maybe she just wont be an everyday pooper :)
hmmmm....... I will definitely try the tile slate to feed Simon, his food gets so dirty on the Coco coir bedding. I cant wait to try Simon outside in our outdoor enclosure, but its been raining non stop here :(
We only have a few short months in Northern Illinois that will be warm enough for Simon to be able to go outside, hopefully he can go out soon. Will you be putting Tallula outside sometimes?

Copper

Nothern Illinois
Great news, my Hubby found an extra tile in our garage from a few years ago when we tiled some walls in our kitchen, so I tried putting his food on the tile today and it worked!! he ate much better, Thank You, Thank You, who would have ever thought a piece of tile would make such a difference :)

Flipper

MO, USA
I'm glad the tile worked out for you :))

Yes, on my days off, if it's not raining we hang outside in the sun for a couple hrs (I only work 3- 12 hour shifts so I can be with her and my dog much of the time)!

Copper

Nothern Illinois
That's nice that you can spend that time outside with Tallula and your dog, from the pic it looks like you have a Boston Terrier? Pretty dog! as far as pets go I just have Simon and several turtles (5) , that's enough to keep me busy, lol
I cant wait to see how Simon takes to his outdoor enclosure, hopefully soon we can give it a try. Simon is four weeks old and is sooooo tiny still, I worry about him, its like having a newborn baby, aghhhhh :)

Hgarrity

5 Year Member
Hi Cooper! I too have a new baby Herman's. Your new baby is so cute! My guy goes to bed around 2:30 or 3:00 every afternoon too! He is pretty active in the morning. Do you put yours outside at all during the day? I just finished a secure outdoor enclosure for mine to be able to go outside for a few hours each morning. He loves it! I think that is what makes him so tired in the afternoon!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 12

Flipper

MO, USA
Hgarrity, your guy is so cute :<3:

I was wondering if you'd share a pic or link to your outdoor enclosure?

Hgarrity

5 Year Member
Sure! I am actually out of town for a few days! Had to leave my baby in the care of my husband and 15 year old daughter! Haha! I will post pictures when I get back though. It's really not my ultimate grand enclosure plan. Haha! It's good for now. I am not sure the exact measurements, but it will definitely need to be bigger when he is older. It works good for now, letting him spend a few hours each day outside, at his size. Basically my husband and I copied this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00167S5EY/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

I have a 3 by 12 flower bed that I ultimately want to use as his outdoor enclosure. I was thinking next summer. I am working on how I want to do it. I'm not sure if it needs to have a top, and if so, how to build it that big.

Flipper

MO, USA
Thanks for responding so quickly :) I too want to make a raised flower bed next summer, but my husband is not very supportive in the tortoise department :(

Copper

Nothern Illinois
Hi Hgarrity! Thank you for the compliments on Simon, your tortoise is very pretty too :)
How old is he? How long have you had him? I am yet to put Simon outside it has been non stop rain here. We have an old above ground pond that we turned into a flower bed a few years ago, but we had such a cold, cold winter this year that it killed all our plants , so instead of planting regular plants we knew we were going to get a tortoise this summer so as soon as spring came we added more soil and planted clover and cat grass. Its really big and deep with high sides, so Simon will think he is in the jungle for sure! I cant wait to put him in it, he is so tiny, 4 weeks and about the size of a half dollar. I will only put him out there for a few hours when I do.
Thanks for writing :)

Flipper

MO, USA
Hi Hgarrity! Thank you for the compliments on Simon, your tortoise is very pretty too :)
How old is he? How long have you had him? I am yet to put Simon outside it has been non stop rain here. We have an old above ground pond that we turned into a flower bed a few years ago, but we had such a cold, cold winter this year that it killed all our plants , so instead of planting regular plants we knew we were going to get a tortoise this summer so as soon as spring came we added more soil and planted clover and cat grass. Its really big and deep with high sides, so Simon will think he is in the jungle for sure! I cant wait to put him in it, he is so tiny, 4 weeks and about the size of a half dollar. I will only put him out there for a few hours when I do.
Thanks for writing :)
I can't wait to see pics of simon in it :D

Copper

Nothern Illinois
Here are a few pictures of Simon eating his first meal the second day with us, now he will not eat in his bowl so we feed him on a piece of slate tile , which he enjoys, silly guy :)

Attachments

• Simon enjoying first meal, day #2.JPG
    Simon enjoying first meal, day #2.JPG
    197.7 KB · Views: 15
  • Simon eating first meal day 2.JPG
    Simon eating first meal day 2.JPG
    204.2 KB · Views: 14

Hgarrity

5 Year Member
Can't wait to see pictures! Pogo is 4 months old. We have had him for about three weeks. So far things have been going pretty good. I've been trying to find different things to plant for him. We have all kinds of things in our yard and on my parents farm down the street that he can eat. My kids are having a fun time figuring out what he can and can't eat. We have been using The Tortoise Table online a good bit. thetortoisetable.org.uk

ditzyangeluk

Sudbury, Suffolk, UK
I posted LOADS of stuff on The Tortoise Table - they are like my bible, ha! Trouble is, I must have the most toxic garden in existence, there is nowt any good for muy tortoise when it arrives in August!

Copper

Nothern Illinois
Can't wait to see pictures! Pogo is 4 months old. We have had him for about three weeks. So far things have been going pretty good. I've been trying to find different things to plant for him. We have all kinds of things in our yard and on my parents farm down the street that he can eat. My kids are having a fun time figuring out what he can and can't eat. We have been using The Tortoise Table online a good bit. thetortoisetable.org.uk
Pogo is a baby too, soooo cute! I know its hard to know what to feed them. I was told by the breeder I bought Simon from to not give him fruit, it does nothing good for Hermanns and too much sugar. Fruit does not grow in their natural habitat so their bodies do not know how to handle it. My kids also spend a lot of time researching what is best for Simon too eat too :)
Where did you get Pogo from?

Copper

Nothern Illinois
I posted LOADS of stuff on The Tortoise Table - they are like my bible, ha! Trouble is, I must have the most toxic garden in existence, there is nowt any good for muy tortoise when it arrives in August!
Hi ditzyangeluk! Cant wait to see pictures of your tortoise when it arrives, I have never heard of The Tortoise Table, I will definitely have to check it out :)