Hello All

Garth Rohr

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
New Mexico
Hello everyone.

I decided to join the forum to be active with all of you and to ask questions and share my turtle/tortoise obsession as my girlfriend calls with all of you.

Here is a quick background on me: we currently live in Albuquerque NM for the time being but am hoping to move back to the north west soon. We have 2 indoor red foots and 6 oriental box turtles that run around my backyard. I am wanting to add a new tortoise in with my red foots this year and am looking for maybe a yellow foot or an elongated tortoise as I know they will all enjoy the same environment, if you have any other suggestions please let me know.

I wanted to introduce myself and just say hi.

Garth

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
Hi and welcome! I have a redfoot and 2 American box turtles! I'd love to see pictures of yours.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome. Species should never be mixed both for behavioral reasons, and for disease potential with species that come from different areas of the world.

Tortoises should also not be kept in pairs. One or both will always suffer in that arrangement.

Check this out:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

How on earth do you maintain good conditions for Asian Box turtles in Albuquerque? I would love to see pics of that enclosure!

Garth Rohr

5 Year Member
New Mexico
I don't know why I always call them oriental box turtles, they are ornate sorry (this must be my fiftieth time making that mistake). I will have to post several pictures tomorrow.

Thank you Tom for the link, it was a very good read. Do you think that even mixing such a close species like a yellow foot would be bad with red foots? If it is I will definitely reconsider mixing them. My reds so far do keep to themselves except for sleeping as they tend to sleep in the same area.

Also, when you say pairs, do you mean small groups or just literally 2?

Thanks!

Leddagger16

Arizona
I don't know why I always call them oriental box turtles, they are ornate sorry (this must be my fiftieth time making that mistake). I will have to post several pictures tomorrow.

Thank you Tom for the link, it was a very good read. Do you think that even mixing such a close species like a yellow foot would be bad with red foots? If it is I will definitely reconsider mixing them. My reds so far do keep to themselves except for sleeping as they tend to sleep in the same area.

Also, when you say pairs, do you mean small groups or just literally 2?

Thanks!
Tom is saying that they shouldn't be kept together (one turtle or tortoise per enclosure). I learned this from him the other day. They tend to do better when they are alone due to other turtles being dominant or mounting each other. They are typically solitary creatures in the wild.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Salutations
Never has a day shined brighter or held more promise then the day yiou joined the forumm
Party.on garth.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hello, Garth and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum to you and all your tortoises and turtles.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
Hi, Garth! Greetings from Texas! I too have 2 redfoots, but ours are just babies and I'm preparing to either keep them separate or once their genders are confirmed and they are indeed male and female, then try adding another 1-2 famales and give my sweet boy a little "harem"

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Welcome Garth & Co.