Hello all

JackBQuick

Location (City and/or State)
Peoria, Arizona
Hey everyone. My name is Jack and I live in AZ in the lower Sonoran desert. In the 80's and 90's I keep aquatic turtles,box turtles, and several tortoise species including russian,sulcata,leopard, and greeks. I am now considering getting back into the hobby but am not sure what species to start out with again. Sulcatas are out because they are bull-dozer eating machines. So I'm thinking of smaller species like hermans or hingebacks. I was considering hingebacks but most of the adults I see for sale are Wild Caught. I have had some bad experiences with WC back in the day having lost most of them after a month or so even after deworming and parasite meds. So any advice you folks can give on wc hingebacks or any hardy species suitable for warmer climates would be great. These will be outside tortoises free to graze on natural plants. I'm into ethnobotany and foraging so I know the plants well and have not used pesticides or herbicides in my yard for over 15 years. Anyhow good to be here and hope to hear some advice and comments soon.
Thanks,

Jack

MrMarg&me

Location (City and/or State)
Temecula California
Have you considered adopting native desert tortoises from a local rescue? There are many that need good, experienced homes. Then the tortoise would be well suited to your environment.