Hello All

badainzly

Location (City and/or State)
Manhattan, KS
I have been lurking around the forum for awhile, and reading up on as much info as I can but I thought it was time to introduce myself. :) My name is Kate, I am currently located in Manhattan, KS and I'm a third year vet student at KSU. My plan is to be a general mixed practice veterinarian back home in Maine. I am not a total novice tortoise owner, and I did a lot of research before getting my first tortoise (Spartacus) back in 2006. However, I have realized since then that there were some things I was doing that weren't ideal. My first tortoise was a Russian that I got from Petco and was told was about a year old (obviously not true). He passed away this past January and after having his funny personality and quirks for 12 years I was pretty devastated.

Between being an animal person, the daughter of a veterinarian, and becoming a veterinarian myself I am pretty dedicated to taking excellent care of my pets and setting them up for success. I also have a Great Dane/St. Bernard cross, a Border Collie, two rescue cats, and a horse. After Spartacus passed and I decided that I was ready for another tortoise, I was determined to have a close to a perfect set up as possible because I want this tortoise to outlive me. :)

I started researching getting another tortoise and found this forum (I was also pretty excited that the recommendations here were pretty much the same as I learned in my Exotic Species class). I finally decided that I wanted to get a Leopard tortoise, and after establishing my set up (since I had to over haul everything I already had) I got my baby.

Ruth Bader Ginsberg (aka the Notortious RBG) joined the family on February 15th, and currently resides in a closed 40 gallon Sterilite container. She is about 3.5 inches long and weights 56g. She was started hot and humid. Her substrate is about 4-5 inches of cypress mulch and coco coir mixed together. She has a humid hide (which she doesn't actually seem to like), and I'm using plant pot saucers for food and water. The hot end of her enclosure ranges between 90-96, the cool end between 80-85, and her basking spot between 100-110. The humidity stays between 80-90% (depending on how much I'm opening the top to mess around). I have a UVB bulb (long style not coiled) that runs on a timer with the basking bulb, and a CHE set up with a thermostat for maintaining the ambient temperature. I use a couple remote probes, a digital gauge from the garden center in Home Depot for temp and humidity, and an infrared heat gun for monitoring temperatures and humidity. I'm feeding a mix of greens and Mazuri (the greens include wheat grass, some Romaine, mustard seed, turnip greens, cactus, endive, and more). I supplement calcium twice a week, and she has access to a cuttle bone. I soak her every night for 30 minutes in 90-95 degree water. So far, she has been active, bright, and eating like a horse.

My dad and I have already started making plans for a pretty elaborate outside (summer) and inside (winter) set up for when I move back to Maine after graduation and Miss Ruth is old enough to be outside most of the time (weather permitting).

Unfortunately my phone is on the fritz so I don't have a great way to post pictures right now (like most vet students I invest money into my animals before myself). But I do have a couple from before my phone decided to kick the bucket. The photo on the left is from when I had just gotten her and the photo on the right is from last week.

IMG_3192.JPG IMG_3232.JPG

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Kate, and welcome! What a pleasure it is to read about a new tortoise person who has taken our information to heart and applied it to her tortoise keeping. You're going to make a great vet, and I hope some day we all can refer our Kansas tortoise members to you. Keep learning. Taking care of tortoises isn't static, it's always changing and we must learn new stuff and go with the flow. I love your new baby. Little Ruthie is a beauty!

badainzly

Manhattan, KS
Hi Kate, and welcome! What a pleasure it is to read about a new tortoise person who has taken our information to heart and applied it to her tortoise keeping. You're going to make a great vet, and I hope some day we all can refer our Kansas tortoise members to you. Keep learning. Taking care of tortoises isn't static, it's always changing and we must learn new stuff and go with the flow. I love your new baby. Little Ruthie is a beauty!

Thank you for the warm welcome! I'm a firm believer in animals thriving on a good routine, so I work really hard to find the routine that fits each individual. My Border Collie has Addison's Disease, so she has taught me to be extra vigilant for small changes and understanding her stressors and I try to apply those lessons to all of my pets. I think I now have a better understanding of how things can change depending on weather and other factors, so little Ruthie and her chamber get a thorough checking over every day!