Hello All...

Skunkworks

Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Coeur D Alene,ID
Glad to be here. I have been raising a Baby Sulcata tortoise ( Nala ) ever since she arrived in July as a Hatching.I purchased her for my 4 grandchildren to Raise and Enjoy. I will admit I did not do enough research on providing it a well suitable environment let alone it's food intake needs .. This Forum saved my A** .. I learned Much here and built her a Suitable Habitat.. I would welcome any and all Suggestions on what I'm doing wrong or right Thanks again for All your help..IMG_20211107_115232.jpgIMG_20211107_115314.jpgIMG_20211107_115331.jpg

TaylorTortoise

Abington
Sweet set up.
only things I notice is that your sulcata is going to need to be in a closed chamber type set up. All hatchlings require closed chamber to thrive/ surrive as youngsters.
@Tom can help you with a decent idea on how to possibly modify this enclosure already

Skunkworks

Tortoise Club
Coeur D Alene,ID
Thanks for the suggestion.Would her home under the loft be considered an closed chamber? 12 inches by 2 feet . Or do I need a door on the front enclosing entire Habitat. IMG_20211107_130149.jpg

zolasmum

5 Year Member
What a lot of thought and work you have put into this ! Your grandchildren must really love it.I'm not an expert, but I do know that sulcatas grow big pretty quickly, so she will need more space in no time., but she must be having fun exploring for now.
Best wishes from Angie

Skunkworks

Tortoise Club
Coeur D Alene,ID
What a lot of thought and work you have put into this ! Your grandchildren must really love it.I'm not an expert, but I do know that sulcatas grow big pretty quickly, so she will need more space in no time., but she must be having fun exploring for now.
Best wishes from Angie
Thanks Angie.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome!

I really love how invested you are in making a nice place for your baby to live. I'd like to make a couple suggestions. The UVB light needs to shine down into the enclosure from above like the sun does, not on the side like it is.* You can remedy this by fixing one of the other things I was going to mention - cover the enclosure, then mount the light on the 'ceiling'/cover. If you figure out a way to use acrylic, you can still see in. Wet the substrate.

Baby sulcatas hatch out during the monsoon season and everything is wet, hot and very humid for them.

*Tortoises have evolved 'bumps' above each eye to protect their eyes from the sun. With the light on the side it is shining directly into their eyes and is harmful

dd33

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Florida
What is that radiator thing mounted on the wall?

Skunkworks

Tortoise Club
Coeur D Alene,ID
Hi, and welcome!

I really love how invested you are in making a nice place for your baby to live. I'd like to make a couple suggestions. The UVB light needs to shine down into the enclosure from above like the sun does, not on the side like it is.* You can remedy this by fixing one of the other things I was going to mention - cover the enclosure, then mount the light on the 'ceiling'/cover. If you figure out a way to use acrylic, you can still see in. Wet the substrate.

Baby sulcatas hatch out during the monsoon season and everything is wet, hot and very humid for them.

*Tortoises have evolved 'bumps' above each eye to protect their eyes from the sun. With the light on the side it is shining directly into their eyes and is harmful
Hello Yvonne, Thanks for your suggestions. Will do.

Skunkworks

Tortoise Club
Coeur D Alene,ID
Welcome!

it seems lime you have put a lot of care and thought into the habitat!

I was wondering how much use the ramp and upper deck got?
Thanks Jennifer. Nala used it the day I built it. She loves climbing up and down it at least 4 times daily. I tried attaching a video of her climbing but it said Security error/ not an allowed extension.

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
WTTC!!

Wow, rarely does someone start out so nicely! This is the difference between non-discretionary funds and an allowance I take it?<LOL> The sheets here are second to none anywhere on the 'net, same with the talent here....you are in very good hands!

Nala, right? Get ready Grandpa, she's going to grow much faster than the grandchildren!!

Have fun and remember, as with kids, the enjoyment Nala provides will be based on the time spent with her......

You got this!

jeff

Mrs.Jennifer

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Norwich CT
Thanks Jennifer. Nala used it the day I built it. She loves climbing up and down it at least 4 times daily. I tried attaching a video of her climbing but it said Security error/ not an allowed extension.
First off, sorry about “lime” instead of “like.” ?
The reason I ask about the ramp is because it is fairly steep for a tortoise and there is no railing. Usually a ramp needs a 1:2 rise. For every foot of rise there is typically 2 feet of ramp. However, if your tortoise is doing well with it, that’s great! I would, however, suggest a guardrail so they can’t fall off. I screwed a plexiglass panel to the side of my ramp.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
First off, sorry about “lime” instead of “like.” ?
The reason I ask about the ramp is because it is fairly steep for a tortoise and there is no railing. Usually a ramp needs a 1:2 rise. For every foot of rise there is typically 2 feet of ramp. However, if your tortoise is doing well with it, that’s great! I would, however, suggest a guardrail so they can’t fall off. I screwed a plexiglass panel to the side of my ramp.
I thought about a railing too, but if you look carefully at the ramp there are slight wood sides that look just high enuf...I like the whole thing...just need to add humidity...

Skunkworks

Tortoise Club
Coeur D Alene,ID
WTTC!!

Wow, rarely does someone start out so nicely! This is the difference between non-discretionary funds and an allowance I take it?<LOL> The sheets here are second to none anywhere on the 'net, same with the talent here....you are in very good hands!

Nala, right? Get ready Grandpa, she's going to grow much faster than the grandchildren!!

Have fun and remember, as with kids, the enjoyment Nala provides will be based on the time spent with her......

You got this!

jeff
Thanks for the warm welcome Jeff. Your Right this Forum Rocks!!! I Appreciate Everyone for doing what they do for Others. The Information one can gather here is Priceless when it comes to raising a Tortoise/Turtle all the way from Habitat to Health. With the Help I receive here it will be a a "Piece of Cake" raising Nala.. Thanks again Jeff . Keep in touch.

Skunkworks

Tortoise Club
Coeur D Alene,ID
Thanks to Everyone who took the time to reply and give me their advice on how to improve Nala's enclosure. I'm almost finished building Nala her enclosed Habitat and I'm already able to maintain 75 to 80 percent Humidity levels. Thanks again for all your Help. IMG_20211113_201511.jpg