Hello and Hibernation?

psobie

Location (City and/or State)
Round Lake Beach, IL
I recently got a 1 year old Hermann’s Tortoise named “Tortellini”. He was living with my nephew and his girlfriend in a 20 gallon long tank. They don’t have time for him because of 2 small kids, so that’s how I got him.
I moved him into a tortoise house you can buy on line. I thought he was happy. I moved his familiar items into the new home. He was eating fine and yesterday he started not eating and wanting to be on the Dark, Cool Side of the habitat. I am getting a heat gun on Monday because I moved his existing lights to the new enclosure.
I am thinking he is trying to hibernate? It only says 80 degrees on the habitat wall thermometer. I’m lost as far as what size bulbs I need for the enclosure that might be 3 times bigger than what he was in. One bulb is a 75 watt basking bulb. The other is a 75 watt “curly” UVB Bulb. I have read those are not good, and they “wear out” after a year which is probably how old that bulb is. I have a piece of slate in there for him to bask on. He’s had baths. No runny nose or eyes. Please help. I don’t want to kill the poor baby. He’s so cute. The shredded paper isn’t in there anymore It’s the coconut husk stuff.C163F49B-8A6E-4616-A1E7-5D478BBB7D95.jpeg

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
He needs a natural substrate like orchid bark and/or coconut coir, not fake grass.
He also needs humidity within a closed chamber enclosure to help stop the shell from pyramiding. For his age he has a lot of pyramiding going on from being raised with no humidity.
The night temps can go into the 60's. Basking should be 95-100 and over all should range 75-80. Only you can really tell what will achieve these temps. Raising or lowering the heat/light sources to get the right temps or getting bigger watts. Your temp gun will help you a lot.

Big Ron

Tortoise Club
Florida
the best substrate is organic orchid bark,there is a care sheet for new to torts like you and me,i have a hermann's there may be nothing wrong he may just be stressed from the move to new surroundings,but i'm sure someone more familiar with the forum can hook you up with a very detailed care sheet or post,my name is Big Ron my torts name is Herman but everybody in the house calls him Hermie,I'm live in Florida just north of Tampa,talk to you soon

psobie

Round Lake Beach, IL
He needs a natural substrate like orchid bark and/or coconut coir, not fake grass.
He also needs humidity within a closed chamber enclosure to help stop the shell from pyramiding. For his age he has a lot of pyramiding going on from being raised with no humidity.
The night temps can go into the 60's. Basking should be 95-100 and over all should range 75-80. Only you can really tell what will achieve these temps. Raising or lowering the heat/light sources to get the right temps or getting bigger watts. Your temp gun will help you a lot.
Thank you. I know he has pyramiding, I hope it will go away once I get everything straightened out. He has Coconut Coir in there now. Can I “wake” him up if he doesn’t come out on his own?

psobie

Round Lake Beach, IL
the best substrate is organic orchid bark,there is a care sheet for new to torts like you and me,i have a hermann's there may be nothing wrong he may just be stressed from the move to new surroundings,but i'm sure someone more familiar with the forum can hook you up with a very detailed care sheet or post,my name is Big Ron my torts name is Herman but everybody in the house calls him Hermie,I'm live in Florida just north of Tampa,talk to you soon
Thank you.

Big Ron

Tortoise Club
Florida
I don't believe it will go away but i think it will stop it from getting worse

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
No the pyramiding will not go away but proper housing temps and humidity will help it to stop and from getting worse.
You do need to keep him up. They can't hibernate with food in their gut. Its dangerous and deadly.

psobie

Round Lake Beach, IL
No the pyramiding will not go away but proper housing temps and humidity will help it to stop and from getting worse.
You do need to keep him up. They can't hibernate with food in their gut. Its dangerous and deadly.
I received the Heat Gun. It shows 90 degrees Farenheat on his basking slate and cooler elsewhere. Do I need a higher wattage bulb to get it warmer?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I received the Heat Gun. It shows 90 degrees Farenheat on his basking slate and cooler elsewhere. Do I need a higher wattage bulb to get it warmer?
The basking is fine. But what is the cooler elsewhere, actual temps?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Temps are good. Leave lights on 12-14 hours and make sure the enclosure is brightly lit like summer time sun shining. No dark sides during the day. All lights off at night.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi and welcome,
In case you haven't already found it, this is the up to date caresheet you need for your tort which will tell you about all aspects of his care and help you get things right.

TaylorTortoise

Abington
Here is my hermann. I took this today. I will say maintaining humidity can be a pain with that type of enclosure unless you buy plexi glass to cover the top. Can we see the entire enclosure? Cute tortoise. Hermann’s have a lot of personality. You will get attached quickly. Definitely need actual substrate to help with humidity.

Attachments

• 915C4E02-75FE-424F-9E9C-0E9CD68A76FE.jpeg
    915C4E02-75FE-424F-9E9C-0E9CD68A76FE.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 4

psobie

Round Lake Beach, IL
Here is my hermann. I took this today. I will say maintaining humidity can be a pain with that type of enclosure unless you buy plexi glass to cover the top. Can we see the entire enclosure? Cute tortoise. Hermann’s have a lot of personality. You will get attached quickly. Definitely need actual substrate to help with humidity.
Thank you. He has coco coir in there now. I can buy a piece of plexiglass. Not a problem.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Thank you. He has coco coir in there now. I can buy a piece of plexiglass. Not a problem.
The lamps will need to be inside the plexiglass so if you use that you will need to have holes cut for them. What are you using now for uvb, basking and night heat? Can you show us the whole enclosure?