Hello and need help identifying tortoise

Hello Everyone,

My family and I live in Bocas del Toro, Panama. We get a lot of sailboats coming through the area and a friend of ours was giving two small tortoises a few weeks ago--she lives in a small apartment and has asked if we'd like to have the tortoises--we live on a large cacao farm. I don't know much about their provenance other than that they supposedly come from Mexico, but I'm not even sure if that is correct. Our friend said they are Mexican box turtles, which clearly they are not--they don't have hinged bottoms.

They seem in good health and one is slightly bigger than the other, male and female perhaps.

I'm attaching two pictures.

Any help on identifying the species is greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance for your help.

Best regards,
Henry IMG_20160924_104723191.jpg IMG_20160924_104730089.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Henry, and welcome to the Forum!

You are now the proud owner of a couple beautiful redfooted tortoises (Geochelone carbonaria). They come from South America, but I don't know if their range reaches all the way up into Panama. Here's a good place to start your education - Tortoise Library

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
A very warm welcome to the forum!

Please read the "Beginners Mistakes" Thread as well as the RF care-sheets, and ask any question when in doubt.

Keep your torts separated so as to avoid bullying and fighting.

Thank you everyone for your quick and warm replies. We are so excited. The yellow legs threw me but I see now that the color on the legs ranges from yellow to red. I assume they're still pretty young as the bigger one is only about 6 inches long. I'm glad that at least they're tropical tortoises and will be happy with our warm and humid climate.

Thanks again everyone.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hello, Henry, and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum to you and your beautiful tortoises.