Hello! Another Ill informed newbie here. Advice welcome!

Bobtortoise123

Hi there from the North West U.K. I bought Bob the Horsfield tortoise in Feb this year as a 6 month old. Although I did research before I found lots of contradictions and so stupidly took the advice of the 'reputable' pet shop we got him from. He was only £40 if bought with set up (viv) and we were told to keep the red heating light always on even through night (uv for 12 hours), feed him only cabbage and kale and never hibernate him. I was told the viv was best and to be honest at the time felt relieved as this seemed safe and easy.

Luckily I recently spoke to a vet and was put onto some more reliable websites. I am so angry that the pet shop were so rubbish with advice!

I've started feeding him mainly weeds which are on the safe list off a piece of slate and my husband has built a table which is 5ftx5ft. I intend to get him out in the warmer weather but may move later in this year so won't build anything too permanent yet and would need to be supervised as we have a hungry fox family close who use our garden.
I have ordered an Arcadia uv/ heat bulb to go on the table but whilst waiting tried to use the red bulb and uv from the viv, he was in this yesterday but just buried himself in the soil and didn't come out all day today at all, not even for dinner!
I am now worried the table is cold as he's used to heated viv? Our house is very old and very cold at night, I sleep in fleece pjs even now so could it have been too cold? Do I need another heat source? I tried to test heat but the temp gun I got from eBay won't turn on!

Any advice welcome, I've put him back in the viv for now as it is easier to check heat, he's just basked since back in.

hettisurmail

Hi there from the North West U.K. I bought Bob the Horsfield tortoise in Feb this year as a 6 month old. Although I did research before I found lots of contradictions and so stupidly took the advice of the 'reputable' pet shop we got him from. He was only £40 if bought with set up (viv) and we were told to keep the red heating light always on even through night (uv for 12 hours), feed him only cabbage and kale and never hibernate him. I was told the viv was best and to be honest at the time felt relieved as this seemed safe and easy.

Luckily I recently spoke to a vet and was put onto some more reliable websites. I am so angry that the pet shop were so rubbish with advice!

I've started feeding him mainly weeds which are on the safe list off a piece of slate and my husband has built a table which is 5ftx5ft. I intend to get him out in the warmer weather but may move later in this year so won't build anything too permanent yet and would need to be supervised as we have a hungry fox family close who use our garden.
I have ordered an Arcadia uv/ heat bulb to go on the table but whilst waiting tried to use the red bulb and uv from the viv, he was in this yesterday but just buried himself in the soil and didn't come out all day today at all, not even for dinner!
I am now worried the table is cold as he's used to heated viv? Our house is very old and very cold at night, I sleep in fleece pjs even now so could it have been too cold? Do I need another heat source? I tried to test heat but the temp gun I got from eBay won't turn on!

Any advice welcome, I've put him back in the viv for now as it is easier to check heat, he's just basked since back in.
I'm from north west too where are you from?? :D

Bobtortoise123

Chester, thought the box was great but now I'm worried he was too cold last night when he wouldn't move all day today!

hettisurmail

Chester, thought the box was great but now I'm worried he was too cold last night when he wouldn't move all day today!
I'm from Rochdale but live in the highlands now. My tortoises are outside during the day and come in and have a heat mat at night. The house is freezing at night but they always seem to be alright. I hibernate them through winter for about five months so I miss the coldest months. I'm not an expert but there are people on here who are. They will advise you better than I ever could :)

Bobtortoise123

Ah thanks, I suppose they adapt after a while and mine is only little and used to being warm 24/7. he's much happier back in viv, he's just eaten after basking, I think the table must not have had a decent basking temp and I may need heat may or ceramic heater for colder nights. I'll leave him in viv until new bulb and heat temp gun arrive ! Cheers for replying! X

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
Hello and welcome from Kent UK

How big/old is your tort?

Baby Russians do just fine in a viv; indeed a closed chamber is essential to get the humidity a very young tort needs. By the the time they get to 3-4 inches straight carapace length (8-10cm) they can handle a table.

You do need to know the temperatures properly a temperature gun type thermometer like this is best for checking spot temperatures.

It must be 35-37C (95-100F) directly under the basking lamp for your tort to be healthy.

If you haven't already, I suggest you read the TFO care guides if you haven't already

They're written by species experts working hard to correct the outdated information widely available on the internet and from pet stores and, sadly, from some breeders and vets too.

Beginner Mistakes
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

Baby Russian Tortoise Care
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread...or-other-herbivorous-tortoise-species.107734/

Russian Tortoise Care
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Here's a lighting summary that might help you with that side of things

Your tort needs:

1. A basking lamp
This must hang vertically, not at an angle. Basking is essential to raise your tortoise's core temperature so it can digest food. This must be on continuously for 12-14 hours and must not be used with a thermostat.

2. UVB light
Read the instructions for the source to see how close to the substrate it must be. UVB is essential so your tort can process dietary calcium and have healthy bones and shell. This must also be on for 12-14 hours.

Both 1 and 2 are available from the sun for those able to live outside.

UVB does not pass through glass or perspex(plexiglass) - light must be direct to be effective not through a window. Mesh screening can also interfere with UVB.

3. A minimum overnight temperature (see the care sheet for your species) and complete darkness at night to sleep.

Notes

(a) A Mercury Vapor Bulb (MVB) provides combined UVB and Basking. Alternatively you can use 2 bulbs: a tube UVB and a reflector bulb for basking (a household reflector - not low energy or halogen - from a hardware store will do the job; it's the wattage that counts) It must not be used with a thermostat, rheostat or dimmer.

(b) Ignore any references to UVA you may read - it's misleading marketing speak.

(c) Compact coil UVB harms tortoise eyes and must not be used.

(d) Basking and UVB should be on a timer so the light(s) are on for 12 hours a day. Temperature under the basking is regulated by its height above the substrate.

(e) Overnight, depending on your home, you may need additional heat. You get this from a CHE (Ceramic Heat Emitter) which must be on a thermostat.

(f) Torts have outstanding colour vision and love red and purple food. Coloured heat lamps colour tank decor and torts don't always apply intelligence to what they eat, resulting them in eating tank decor. Coloured bulbs should not be used.

Measurements

There are 4 important temperatures that you must know for an indoor enclosure.
- Directly under the basking lamp
- Warm side
- Cool side
- Overnight Minimum

You will need digital thermometers for accuracy.

A temperature gun thermometer (inexpensive from Amazon) measures temperature accurately in specific places like directly under the basking lamp.

A min/max thermometer so you know the min/max temperatures in your home by day and night.

You should also get a good digital probe hygrometer to measure humidity.

Thermometers and hygrometer that stick to the side of the enclosure tend to be less accurate.

Bobtortoise123

Brilliant thanks all, I have ordered a bulb which has heat and uv together, to use on the table the viv has a separate uv and a red heat bulb, I was advised never to turn this off but feel I should at night in the summer? It stays warm in the viv but the table drops temp quicker as not enclosed. I'll wait to get my new bulb and gun to test before I pop him back on it.
I've read lots of care guides and websites but lots had varying advise, just learning which are trustworthy! Also getting so many different opinions on viv v table so hard to know what to do for best x

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
And remember, for measuring the temps of the enclosure, have your probe or remote at tortoise
mid-carapace level. The temps at the top of the enclosure are not needed to be known because your tortoise doesn't use those areas. Ask any and all questions you might have.

Bobtortoise123

Thank you it's been far more complicated than the pet shop made out but just want the best for little bob! I think I'm getting there now though, know what I need to do.
Another question though, can I use a combination of table/viv for hot and cold days or will this be confusing for him? What about using the viv for caravan hols is this ok or not?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Cancel the red bulb. No coloured light. It colours the substrate red and torts like red coloured food (even if it isn't good for them); they start eating the substrate.

Your tort needs complete darkness at night.

To maintain nighttime and ambient temperatures use a Ceramic Heat Emitter with a thermostat. This gives off only heat, not suitable for basking, and only cuts in when needed due to the thermostat.

Older Russians can cope in most homes without a CHE. They are from colder places and few homes get cold enough to cause problems for a Russian tortoise at night.

Bobtortoise123

You're right he does at times try eating his bedding, I've ordered a white one which will be better and am turning all off now at night.

I'll def need a ceramic heater at night at our place at least in the winter but will start to make records of the heat in different places when my gun comes. And will start keeping more records of his weight too. He must be about 1 year old now and his underneath he measures just under 3 inches he has def grown since we got him in Feb. He has a good appetite.

I can't believe the shop told me it had to stay on all the time and they said he had to have red bulb as better for tortoises!

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
I can't believe the shop told me it had to stay on all the time and they said he had to have red bulb as better for tortoises!
Pet shops are in business to sell things. It's important for them to have you buy the things they sell. Sad but true.