Hello everyone i am a new tortoise owner and i just wanted to get some feed back.

hydro708

Location (City and/or State)
ANAHEIM
I have a few questions on what I can do to make sure I am giving them the right care. Also if you have any suggestions or recommendations please feel free to tell me how I can improve.

Attachments

• 20221202_110805.jpg
    20221202_110805.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 7
  • 20221202_110819.jpg
    20221202_110819.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 8
  • 20221202_110835.jpg
    20221202_110835.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 7

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Add more water. The glass should show condensation. Get rid of the moss. Impaction risk if eaten.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Second Yvonnes post.
Also if you have two in there you will need to separate them soon. One will bully the other. Tortoises should not be kept in pairs.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Hi and welcome. Enclosure looks nice. Yes, you should separate them ASAP so that each one has its own space. They do much better like that.

hydro708

ANAHEIM
They are just babies maybe 3 months... what age should I separate them? I just put them in I was cleaning out the tank but the windows do fog up when kept closed

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
They are just babies maybe 3 months... what age should I separate them? I just put them in I was cleaning out the tank but the windows do fog up when kept closed
They should never live as pairs. Groups can work, but not pairs. Separate them ASAP, or get one or two more.

I also vote to remove the moss ASAP.

Most of the info out in the world for leopard tortoise care is all wrong. Its based on incorrect assumptions of how they live in the wild. Its been wrong for decades and breeders, vets, pet shops and online sources all keep learning and repeating the same wrong info.

Here is the correct care info:

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi and welcome,
The replies you've had are from some of the most experienced keepers here on the forum so following their advice and the caresheet that Tom linked will help you get things right.
The only thing I'll add is that if you do get more torts rather than separate the 2 you have remember that the more you have the more space they need.
Ask as many questions as you like there's always someone to help.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi and welcome,
The replies you've had are from some of the most experienced keepers here on the forum so following their advice and the caresheet that Tom linked will help you get things right.
The only thing I'll add is that if you do get more torts rather than separate the 2 you have remember that the more you have the more space they need.
Ask as many questions as you like there's always someone to help.
That is good advice Lyn! Anaheim is here in Southern California and is an excellent climate for housing adult leopard tortoises outside year round. That is why I thought @hydro708 might like the option of adding one or two more, rather than maintaining two indoor and two outdoor enclosures.

hydro708

ANAHEIM
Thank you everyone I appreciate you taking time and helping me out. The only reason inside is it been cold for California and they are just lil babies they do outside for few hours a day and come in for the night. I am looking for some more babies just looking for someone who I can trust. When I do get some more how long should I keep them separate before putting them together?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thank you everyone I appreciate you taking time and helping me out. The only reason inside is it been cold for California and they are just lil babies they do outside for few hours a day and come in for the night. I am looking for some more babies just looking for someone who I can trust. When I do get some more how long should I keep them separate before putting them together?
Babies do better inside all the time. I don't do outside time for babies for more than an hour a couple of times a week. I've done multiple side-by-side experiments with groups of clutchmate babies to confirm this. Babies do MUCH better when left inside in their closed chamber most of the time. I like more and more outside time for them as they gain size, and outside full time with a heated, insulated shelter as adults.

Check with @Gijoux and @Kapidolo Farms for healthy leopard babies.

Quarantine time is up to you. Most vets will recommend 3-6 months, but we are talking about captive breed babies here. Since they are all new to you, it might be worth the risk to just put them all together.

Where did you get those two? It might be best to get them from the same place. Will and Gijoux, start their babies far better than most breeders, so theirs are likely to outgrow the ones you've got quickly. This is a great big guess. Anything can happen, but I've seen it go this way before. Most breeders don't start their babies very well. These two start them really really well.