Hello everyone, I'm new here and to torts. (Warning long intro)

Kimberly P

Location (City and/or State)
Michigan U.S.A.
Oh the mistakes I have made.....​
Espressp n Java Bean 003-2.jpg

I'm sure quite a few of you can spot some of them right away just from this pic. Meet Espresso and Java Bean, my newly acquired Leopard Tortoises. I've always wanted to get a tortoise, every time I'd go to the pet store and see the tiny hatchlings, so cute with such sweet little faces my heart would burst. But, not knowing much about their care and needs have always (until now) been smart enough to back away slowly and leave them to someone that knew more than I.

Lately the topic of getting a tortoise has been thrown out there to my hubby more often and I've been doing a little reading here and there about the different kinds and a little about their care etc... Hubby came home from picking up food for our snakes and was excited to tell me the local pet shop had tortoises and asked if I wanted to go have a look see. Of course I said "No way" NOT! So, we were off to go have a look. We got there and they had the a/c on (it was frigged inside the shop) they had little hatchlings in a tank out on the counter top. By now I knew two things, I preferred a juvenile to a hatchling and really like what I had read and the look of the Leopard tortoise. So, we looked around in the other enclosures and there in this 24" x 18" x 18" expo cage was two juvenile Leopard torts with only a tiny basking light. One was twice the size of the other, moving around and looked pretty alert but, breathing looked labored. While the smaller one was just sickly in the corner with bubbles coming out of it's nose. I knew their set up wasn't right and the temps were way too low and figure I'd have better luck saving the bigger one than the little one so we asked to purchase the larger of the two. We got it home and when I removed it from the box it felt like it was made of Styrofoam! I put it on my scale, here's this tortoise about the size of a softball weighing in at 4.3 oz.! I put him in the bathroom in a warm tub plugged in a space heater set on high, closed the door and started reading. After a good long soak it ate a mountain of chopped Kale, collard greens and mustard greens. After a guilt filled, sleepless night thinking about the little one I had left behind, we went back the next day and brought it home as well. Tennis ball sized and weighing in at 1.2 oz. We got the basking and heat lamps and a temporary tank to house them in for now. I've had them for 4 weeks and take them outside for a few hours daily to graze and get natural sun light. They eat quite a lot and during both day and night. Since I've had them, Espresso (the larger one) weighs in at 14.2 oz. breathing is no longer labored and Java Bean is now 6.8 oz. and no longer has fluid bubbling out of his/her nose.

I've been reading around this forum the last few days and have learned quite a lot so far.
I know that although the set up I have for these guys now is better than what they had, it's still not adequate enough and riddled with mistakes and I'll be making changes to address some of these ASAP. I look forward to learning so much more from you all and with all the help here, know if I follow the advise and guidance I find, my tortoises are sure to thrive. Thank you.​

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello,and Welcome:) Kudos to you and your hubby for saving these two. They don't look too bad for the condition they were being kept. Toms threads below in my post are a must read for you. They will explain how to raise a healthy and smooth leopard. The sulcata threads will apply too. Good luck, glad you found us and them.

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
Yes your set up still needs work. Assuming that the pic above is yours, not the pet stores, set up. Congrats on getting them better! Have you looked at the care sheets for them?

@Elohi

Come help these people out. Elohi raises some beautiful looking leopard torts.

pam

5 Year Member
Minnesota
Welcome :) Your tortoises are beautiful :) Great save :) I also had that experience I saved my Pear :) She was very lumpy and felt hollow when i picked her up :( They had her walking on rabbit food and in a very small glass tank. I couldn't leave her there. She is now doing great and I love her to pieces :<3::tort::<3: She loves her outside time and her enclosure
in the house is a bookcase with the shelves taken out much more space :)

This is the image i saw i just couldn't leave her there

peral 051.JPG

Kimberly P

Michigan U.S.A.
Thank you Wellington and tortdad. I've been reading Tom's threads over the last two days, they have me kicking myself repeatedly and making a "must do" list. lol Although there's not much I can do at the moment about their current living area, we are remodeling our kitchen and have added a large closed chamber for them to our plans. Things I'll be addressing right away, The calcium sand will be replaced with a more suitable substrate today and although I've been on top of monitoring the temps, I've completely neglected humidity. I do spray them and the enclosure several times through out the day. After I switch out the sand with coco coir and add some moss to the inside of their hide box, what would be the best, most accurate way to reading the humidity?

Kimberly P

Michigan U.S.A.
Thank you pam, Pear is a very lucky girl to have been found by you. I wasn't expecting or prepared to actually get a tortoise that day but, so far my only regret is not knowing as much as I could/should have. They are amazing and I'm so happy to have them. :)

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello Kimberly welcome to the TFO from AZ . Good luck with your torts and God bless

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome. Sounds like you have found the info you need. Let us know when you need tips and help. Questions are welcome.

Kimberly P

Michigan U.S.A.
Hello and welcome. Sounds like you have found the info you need. Let us know when you need tips and help. Questions are welcome.
Hello Tom and thank you. I've been reading and learning so much, thanks to you and the other members that have been kind and thoughtful in sharing their experiences and the great information you all have collected along the way. A huge thank you to you all for taking the time to do so. :)

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
Gnats can be a problem with your sub straight. Eggs live in them then hatch and fly around your house. It won't hurt anything but they are highly irritating. Some people taka apart there bricks of core and bake them in the oven at a low temp, like 250 degrees for a few hours to kill all the eggs before they put in it there with the torts. I'm not sure about that temp but you can search for it here and read up about it. Too got and it will catch fire. I freeze mine for 24 hours and it does the same thing as a few hours in the oven. If you are using top soil under the core and moss you can do the same with that.

0.0.1 Redfoot (Spike)
0.0.1 Cherryhead Redfoot (Bruce Wayne)
1.0 Sulcata (Hal Jordan)