Hello everyone, I'm new here and to torts. (Warning long intro)

Kimberly P

Location (City and/or State)
Michigan U.S.A.
Welcome:)

What a nice story:) I am so glad you saved those beautiful tortoises!

I wish you the best, and enjoy your new companions:)

Joey
Thank you Joey, I am too. Love watching them, such different personalities between the two of them. I didn't know they could eat so much, is that normal or because they weren't eating much before?

Shakudo

5 Year Member
The Netherlands
Thank you Joey, I am too. Love watching them, such different personalities between the two of them. I didn't know they could eat so much, is that normal or because they weren't eating much before?

Your welcome:)
They can eat quite a bit ;)
Possibly, they are getting used to
your new diet and weren't able to eat as much as they needed before.

However, monitor it and make sure that all the leftover foods are taken away after half an hour or so. ( that's the rule of thumb I use).

Kimberly P

Michigan U.S.A.
Your welcome
They can eat quite a bit
Possibly, they are getting used to
your new diet and weren't able to eat as much as they needed before.

However, monitor it and make sure that all the leftover foods are taken away after half an hour or so. ( that's the rule of thumb I use).
Thank you again, I wasn't aware there was a time limit on how long the food should be left in with them. They both usually have it cleaned up after about an hour or so. From what I was told by the kid at the pet store, he was only feeding them kale. In the mornings Espresso is up and ready to soak and eat, I give them chopped mixed green, bell pepper, carrots a little squash all tossed with a touch of fresh fruit and berry dressing. In the afternoons I take them outside for their sun and grazing time. (Espresso eats like a tiny armored goat. lol) Then I'll give them some more chopped mixed greens though out the night as they come looking for it, Espresso is a big night time eater, some times looking for more to eat 2-3 times throughout the night. Java Bean is usually slow out of the hide in the mornings and likes to take his/her time eating, prefers to hide in the grass instead of eating and might nibble a bit in the evening them goes to bed for the night.

Last edited:

Shakudo

5 Year Member
The Netherlands
Thank you again, I wasn't aware there was a time limit on how long the food should be left in with them. They both usually have it cleaned up after about an hour or so. From what I was told by the kid at the pet store, he was only feeding them kale. In the mornings Espresso is up and ready to soak and eat, I give them chopped mixed green, bell pepper, carrots a little squash all tossed with a touch of fresh fruit and berry dressing. In the afternoons I take them outside for their sun and grazing time. (Espresso eats like a tiny armored goat. lol) Then I'll give them some more chopped mixed greens though out the night as they come looking for it, Espresso is a big night time eater, some times looking for more to eat 2-3 times throughout the night. Java Bean is usually slow out of the hide in the mornings and likes to take his/her time eating, prefers to hide in the grass instead of eating and might nibble a bit in the evening them goes to bed for the night.

That's fine, and there isn't a time limit. It's more a rule of thumb to prevent over eating.

I do think that if you already give them veggies once a day and also letting them graze outside, I don't think you'd have to feed them again on the same day.

They can get a little bit too spoiled too;) Tortoises can gorge themselves. But keeping them on a regular food routine keeps their growth stabile and weight.

And the armored goat comment was hilarious. I visualize lol.

Joey