Hello everyone, I'm new here and to torts. (Warning long intro)

Kimberly P

Location (City and/or State)
Michigan U.S.A.
Gnats can be a problem with your sub straight. Eggs live in them then hatch and fly around your house. It won't hurt anything but they are highly irritating. Some people taka apart there bricks of core and bake them in the oven at a low temp, like 250 degrees for a few hours to kill all the eggs before they put in it there with the torts. I'm not sure about that temp but you can search for it here and read up about it. Too got and it will catch fire. I freeze mine for 24 hours and it does the same thing as a few hours in the oven. If you are using top soil under the core and moss you can do the same with that.

0.0.1 Redfoot (Spike)
0.0.1 Cherryhead Redfoot (Bruce Wayne)
1.0 Sulcata (Hal Jordan)
Couldn't I just nuke it in the microwave after hydrating it? It's my
understanding this kills anything bactiria, spores, critters and eggs that might be hiding out in it.

Last edited:

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
Couldn't I just nuke it in the microwave after hydrating it? It's my
understanding this kills anything bactiria, spores, critters and eggs that might be hiding out in it.

I've never tried it that way but I would think hydrating it first would be counter productive.....well, that gives it a steam factor. You can be the test person:)

0.0.1 Redfoot (Spike)
1.0 Sulcata (Hal Jordan)

Kimberly P

Michigan U.S.A.
I've never tried it that way but I would think hydrating it first would be counter productive.....well, that gives it a steam factor. You can be the test person

0.0.1 Redfoot (Spike)
1.0 Sulcata (Hal Jordan)
Already been doing it that way for years for my scorpions to prevent mold, mildew and mites. It was part of my monthly big cleaning routine (removing all the substrate and give it a nuke) to make sure it stayed free of any issues. ;) Really hating this tablet rightnow. Lol

Kimberly P

Michigan U.S.A.
Welcome, wish you luck with your torts love the names.
Thank you Ideraway, welcome to you too. We're redoing our kitchen with a Coffee theme so had that on the brain and I thought a tort with the name Espresso would be funny, then when we got the second one I had to keep it going just for laughs. Not knowing if either are male or female, the names work. vroom! :tort: Lol

Carol S

10 Year Member!
Alta Loma, CA
Welcome to the Forum. Your tortoises are so lucky that you saved them and have brought them back to good health. I think Leopard tortoises are so pretty. :)

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
I should have new you were from Mich. Sweet ladies come from Mich . I was born in mich . But I left the snow behind thank god !

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum

Kimberly P

Michigan U.S.A.
OTE="Carol S, post: 93704. member: 2253"]Welcone to the Forum. Your tortoises are so lucky that you saved them and have brought them back to good health. I think Leopard tortoises are so pretty. :)[/QUOTE]
Thank you Carol S. I'm truly enjoying caring for them and getting to know their personalities. :)

Kimberly P

Michigan U.S.A.
I should have new you were from Mich. Sweet ladies come from Mich . I was born in mich . But I left the snow behind thank god !

Thank you Grandpa Turtle 144, your too kind.:) Where about in Mich are you from? I'm not much of a cold weather person myself early Autumn is more my time of year.;)

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Kimberly
I had a sweet heart when I was in high school in Saginaw her name was Kimberly . What is a sahw/m ?

Kimberly P

Michigan U.S.A.
It don't pay well but it's a lot of work and stress :)

You're very right there. Fortunately, hubby's job pays enough to give us the option of me staying home to take care of our 3 year old special needs daughter. For that we've been doublely blessed. :)

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Take it from a old man kids are fun but grandkids are great . No problems and all the fun :)

Shakudo

5 Year Member
The Netherlands
Welcome:)

What a nice story:) I am so glad you saved those beautiful tortoises!

I wish you the best, and enjoy your new companions:)

Joey