Hello everyone!

Tortajam

Location (City and/or State)
Brooklyn, NY
New member here and I'm really thankful that I found this site. I am a new owner of a 2 y/o leopard tortoise. The previous owner gave him to me because she can't take care of him anymore. I live in a Brooklyn apartment and his indoor enclosure is 2'x6' (planning to expand soon). He is currently 9inches and a pyramided, though he looks healthy for me. I am using Nature's Care organic potting mix and orchid bark for substrate. CHE to keep temps more than 80F although some of the corners I see is 75F (planning to keep it more enclosed like attaching higher wood walls once his home construction is done). He usually would just sleep in his corner. He would come out to eat under the heat (flood bulb) and UVB tube light although sometimes I have to get him out from his hide. I'm assuming he is still trying to get himself comfortable. I know I have to work more on his enclosure. I spray water every now and then to keep the substrate moist. I give him food twice a day and soak him twice a week which he enjoys. I have him for a week now and everything looks good although I feel like I should post and ask the group for advice and correct my mistakes. I read the care sheets many times but I think they are dedicated for raising babies. Again, any advice is greatly appreciated. Attached is pictures of him and the enclosure..

IMG_7151.JPG IMG_7152.JPG IMG_7208 2.PNG

Pure Tortoise Power

Hong Kong
New member here and I'm really thankful that I found this site. I am a new owner of a 2 y/o leopard tortoise. The previous owner gave him to me because she can't take care of him anymore. I live in a Brooklyn apartment and his indoor enclosure is 2'x6' (planning to expand soon). He is currently 9inches and a pyramided, though he looks healthy for me. I am using Nature's Care organic potting mix and orchid bark for substrate. CHE to keep temps more than 80F although some of the corners I see is 75F (planning to keep it more enclosed like attaching higher wood walls once his home construction is done). He usually would just sleep in his corner. He would come out to eat under the heat (flood bulb) and UVB tube light although sometimes I have to get him out from his hide. I'm assuming he is still trying to get himself comfortable. I know I have to work more on his enclosure. I spray water every now and then to keep the substrate moist. I give him food twice a day and soak him twice a week which he enjoys. I have him for a week now and everything looks good although I feel like I should post and ask the group for advice and correct my mistakes. I read the care sheets many times but I think they are dedicated for raising babies. Again, any advice is greatly appreciated. Attached is pictures of him and the enclosure..
Leopards require high humidity. About 80 to 100%. This is key for the quenching of further pyramiding of your tort. Many experienced members here have been keeping their sulcata/leopard in a closed chamber(with top cover), which is a major factor for keeping the high humidity in the enclosure.
A 4x8 enclosure is recommended for a tort of such size. Perhaps even bigger..
What food do you usually feed it? It is recommended a leopard should have grass as 70% of their meal.
If you want your tort to get comfortable more efficiently, maybe stay to hand feed it. I've been doing this and my sulcata takes a bite of the food I'm holding and it loves it. But the first few times you may need to be a little more patient..

Tortajam

Brooklyn, NY
Leopards require high humidity. About 80 to 100%. This is key for the quenching of further pyramiding of your tort. Many experienced members here have been keeping their sulcata/leopard in a closed chamber(with top cover), which is a major factor for keeping the high humidity in the enclosure.
A 4x8 enclosure is recommended for a tort of such size. Perhaps even bigger..
What food do you usually feed it? It is recommended a leopard should have grass as 70% of their meal.
If you want your tort to get comfortable more efficiently, maybe stay to hand feed it. I've been doing this and my sulcata takes a bite of the food I'm holding and it loves it. But the first few times you may need to be a little more patient..

Thank you for your input. I’m planning to expand the enclosure by next week.

I’m feeding him curly mustard, turnip greens and collards.

Pure Tortoise Power

Hong Kong
Thank you for your input. I’m planning to expand the enclosure by next week.

I’m feeding him curly mustard, turnip greens and collards.
If I remember correctly, these foods are a no go for tortoise feeding. I recommend feeding it dandelions, hibiscus. And mostly grass as mentioned. I feed my sulcata wheat grass. I believe you can find what's best to feed your tort on the raising healthy leopard written by Tom. But what I suggested is highly recommended.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome!

It's difficult to provide adequate enclosure for a large tortoise such as yours in an apartment. Ideally, you would give the tortoise a whole bedroom. We all realize that's just not possible (although some people do just that). Usually by the time our tortoises reach the size of yours they are set up outside with a warm retreat/shelter for cooler weather.

My advice for you is to go as big as you possible can and make the enclosure as nature-like as you are able. Your tortoise is past the stage where you can stop the pyramiding, but he would still benefit from humidity in his life. Bear in mind that walking and moving is what keeps your tortoise 'regular.' They need to be able to have room to do a lot of walking in order to keep the digestive tract moving properly.

You've got yourself a very pretty tortoise there. May I ask where it came from?

Tortajam

Brooklyn, NY
Hi, and welcome!

It's difficult to provide adequate enclosure for a large tortoise such as yours in an apartment. Ideally, you would give the tortoise a whole bedroom. We all realize that's just not possible (although some people do just that). Usually by the time our tortoises reach the size of yours they are set up outside with a warm retreat/shelter for cooler weather.

My advice for you is to go as big as you possible can and make the enclosure as nature-like as you are able. Your tortoise is past the stage where you can stop the pyramiding, but he would still benefit from humidity in his life. Bear in mind that walking and moving is what keeps your tortoise 'regular.' They need to be able to have room to do a lot of walking in order to keep the digestive tract moving properly.

You've got yourself a very pretty tortoise there. May I ask where it came from?

Thanks. I just asked the person who gave him to me but she said she has no idea since it was a giveaway too.

He still is usually in his corner hide and I’m always trying to get him out to eat. I wish he get more comfortable on his new home. I guess i have to be more patient..

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi and welcome, I have a leopard in the UK; he is just over a foot long now.
They really do need a lot of space and heat 24/7/365........my bills have more than doubled in the 5 years I have had mine!
My tort has his own converted room with a radiator constantly on (except maybe when we have unusually high summer temps for the UK) and a warm floor, in addition to a basking light, mvb and che for night use
He also has access to the garden when the ground temps are at least 70F, so when you expand go as big as possible.
I struggle with humidity, but by soaking daily I don't think his pyramiding is any worse than when I got him.
The carseheets will tell you all about diet and temps etc so try to follow their advice as closely as possible.
They need a varied diet. Weeds are great for torts but make sure they are chemical/fume free - www.thetortoisetable.org.uk is a good guide to tort safe plants. My tort won't eat grass unless he grazes outside, so I use sprinkle ground grass on his food.
A digital temp gun is a great piece of equipment for spot checking temps at tort level.
Good luck with your tort, I had no idea what I was taking on when I decided to give mine a home, so I had a very steep learning curve, but TFO has been invaluable with its help and support. Don't be afraid to ask questions.