Hello everyone! :)

Herralaballa

Location (City and/or State)
Florida
Hello all, my name is Cy' and I am new here. I have had a sulcata tortoise for 3 years and his name is Cy'Mon! I got him from a girl who used to work at my job. She knew nothing about him and didn't want him anymore so I took him in and he has become my little buddy. I don't know anything about him (even tho I've had him for three years.) I figured he is a sulcata from looking things up online. And he looks just like a baby sulcata, he's a cutie! He hasn't grown much since I've had him. I take him outside and he eats grass and some flowers. PetSmart and other pet stores around here do not offer much of anything for tortoises unfortunately. Anyways, just saying hello to everyone! :)

Herralaballa

Florida
The first picture is when I first got him, the next picture is how he looks now.. cuddled up with his fake friend from Hawaii lol. He's gotten a bit darker in color, he has grown a little bit, very little, he still fits in the palm of my hand.

Pastel Tortie

North Florida
Thanks for sharing pictures. He's adorable!

Personally, I know more about turtles than tortoises. :) Fortunately, however, we have some awesome tortoise keepers on the forum. @Yvonne G, @Tom and @Markw84 are just a few of them.

In the meantime, take a look at the care sheets for sulcatas in the species specific section. The more detail you can provide about your little one's enclosure, lighting, feeding, soaking, temperatures, etc., the more we'll have to work with and be able to troubleshoot that much better. :)

MPappagallo

Myrtle Beach, SC
Welcome to the forum. Definitely check out the species info section at the top of the forum. It is really helpful as far as food, lighting, humuidity, heat, etc for each type of tortoise. I am also a sulcata owner (two babies) and I have learned so much on here! Enjoy!

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Welcome I can't really tell from the picture. But if there is a scute on the shell centered with his neck. It might be a California Desert tortoise. A pic of the top shell would be helpful.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi and welcome!

I think what you have there is an illegal tortoise. It looks like a gopher tortoise to me. I'm not familiar with Florida's laws concerning their native reptiles, but it would behoove you to find out if it's legal for you to keep the tortoise. It's definitely NOT a sulcata.

@ZEROPILOT @Markw84 ??

Pastel Tortie

North Florida
If it does turn out to be a gopher tortoise, the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission (FWC) holds Amnesty events in a fairly regular basis. There aren't any on their calendar right now, but they usually have one somewhere in the state every few months.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
That is certainly a gopher tortoise - Gopherus polyphemus It is protected under Florida law and illegal to disturb, move, touch, possess, etc. I don't know what the process would be for a long-term captive as release into the wild would not be a good option at this point.

Your tortoise should be much larger at 3 years old. So this indicates it is not being kept in a way that is allowing normal growth. I would suggest you contact the proper authorities to see what needs to be done to avoid possible problems. I know there are permits required just for moving a tortoise due to construction over a burrow. I know of no permits that allow keeping one.

Here is a good place to check with contact info:

https://myfwc.com/license/wildlife/gopher-tortoise-permits/contacts/

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
That is certainly a gopher tortoise - Gopherus polyphemus It is protected under Florida law and illegal to disturb, move, touch, possess, etc. I don't know what the process would be for a long-term captive as release into the wild would not be a good option at this point.

Your tortoise should be much larger at 3 years old. So this indicates it is not being kept in a way that is allowing normal growth. I would suggest you contact the proper authorities to see what needs to be done to avoid possible problems. I know there are permits required just for moving a tortoise due to construction over a burrow. I know of no permits that allow keeping one.

Here is a good place to check with contact info:

https://myfwc.com/license/wildlife/gopher-tortoise-permits/contacts/
Sorry I'm late.
It sure looks like a Florida Gopher.
We have a few tortoise re jabber places here in Broward county.
Check your area. Animal control can very likely give you a phone number.
Explain to them your story. You shouldn't be given any issues.
Simply re releasing a native tortoise can introduce harmful pathogens into the native population.
Let the professionals take care of it.
The fines for knowingly keeping a Gopherus here in Florida are astronomical.
.....And now you know.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi Cy and welcome, although it doesn't sound like good news for you.:(
I would still check the caresheets so that you can start to provide the right care for Cy'Mon until it is sorted out.
I hope it all works out well for you and your little tort.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Hi and welcome!

I think what you have there is an illegal tortoise. It looks like a gopher tortoise to me. I'm not familiar with Florida's laws concerning their native reptiles, but it would behoove you to find out if it's legal for you to keep the tortoise. It's definitely NOT a sulcata.

@ZEROPILOT @Markw84 ??
I should have looked on Cy's profile before speaking. He lives in Tampa.I didn't realize the young gophers had similar markings as a sully. All the full grown ones I have seen are pretty much black.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
I hope this works out well for the tortoise and everyone concerned! Beautiful little creature.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I'd keep him and never mention it again to anyone if it were my beloved pet.
But I didn't just say that.
Maybe look into obtaining a permit?
Ahem
I've said too much.
It still needs to be cared for better. The growth is strangely stunted.

Herralaballa

Florida
No I've not been scared away, just checking my options. My heart is extremely broken after hearing this news. He's my little baby so of course I'd want the best care for him so he lives a long and healthy life. I've been searching for almost 4 years trying to find out what type he is so I could do the best for him. If I had known the correct type he is and they are protected, he would have been at a sanctuary or something way sooner. He looks just like a sulcata so I assumed that's what he was. He also looks like a baby gopher tortoise as I see. Adult gopher tortoises are not the cutest so this is hard to believe but it is what it is. Kinda wish I hadn't joined this site, like I said he is my little baby and a huge part of the family but of course I want the best for him so like I said I am checking my options, thanks all.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Well stick around we don't want to scare you off. That's a fine looking sulcata with a extra scute :D