Hello everyone! :)

Herralaballa

Location (City and/or State)
Florida
Just asking questions.. what do most of y'all have? Sulcatas? How old and how big are they? Have y'all had them for years? Have you gotten them from pet stores? I got Cy'Mon from a girl I used to work with, she kept him in water.. I knew that wasn't right for him. I asked her where she got him and she said from a pet store (didn't say where the store was) and she said she didn't want him anymore and asked if I wanted him. He's probably grown about an inch to at the most, 2 inches since I've had him. Since I can't keep him, I want him to go somewhere that he will stay forever and be well taken care of. I've done my best to my ability and knowledge

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Just asking questions.. what do most of y'all have? Sulcatas? How old and how big are they? Have y'all had them for years? Have you gotten them from pet stores? I got Cy'Mon from a girl I used to work with, she kept him in water.. I knew that wasn't right for him. I asked her where she got him and she said from a pet store (didn't say where the store was) and she said she didn't want him anymore and asked if I wanted him. He's probably grown about an inch to at the most, 2 inches since I've had him. Since I can't keep him, I want him to go somewhere that he will stay forever and be well taken care of. I've done my best to my ability and knowledge
I keep Redfoot tortoises.
They are generally easy to keep in south Florida. And would be a great choice if you now have the tortoise bug. They stay under 16" and maybe 35 pounds.
Most stay smaller/lighter.
A true Sulcata would grow to over 150 pounds and as large as the hood of a small car.
What has happened to you is not unusual.
We get new members popping in every few days with native tortoises, thinking they are something else.
About 5 years ago, someone actually gave me 4 Sulcata tortoises and asked me to find them homes. One WAS a Sulcata. Three were Gophers.
The Gophers are now at Fern Forrest nature center.
The Sulcata I gave to someone in Pembroke Pines.
The easiest way to tell them apart is by looking at the heads when they're small.
It's unfortunate that you have such a bond with this animal.
Hopefully there will be a happy ending.
Best of luck to you.

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
No I've not been scared away, just checking my options. My heart is extremely broken after hearing this news. He's my little baby so of course I'd want the best care for him so he lives a long and healthy life. I've been searching for almost 4 years trying to find out what type he is so I could do the best for him. If I had known the correct type he is and they are protected, he would have been at a sanctuary or something way sooner. He looks just like a sulcata so I assumed that's what he was. He also looks like a baby gopher tortoise as I see. Adult gopher tortoises are not the cutest so this is hard to believe but it is what it is. Kinda wish I hadn't joined this site, like I said he is my little baby and a huge part of the family but of course I want the best for him so like I said I am checking my options, thanks all.
Well, we're glad you found the TFO, even if you aren't so sure. ;) You're in Florida, which is a great place to raise and acquire turtles and tortoises. I believe there's a strong, active herp society in the Tampa area. If you haven't already, I would encourage you to get in touch with them. I suspect they will be able to support you through this, even if it's just someone to commiserate with or something. Since you've been so motivated and preparing to make the best possible tortoise home... They can probably help introduce you to a new friend, as soon as you're ready.

And if you're feeling bummed or need a distraction (but still turtle related), visit the National Reptile Breeders Expo in Daytona Beach in August. It will be worth the trip, and the turtle and tortoise "eye candy" will have you drooling! :D
reptilebreedersexpo.com

Bountyboy

Philadelphia PA
Hey Herralaballa, hello and welcome to the forum. Dude little man looks good I hope you find out more information on him so you can take care of him. I hope he isn't one so you can keep him. Good hunting sir

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
I wonder if this poor tortoise survived that horror.
They were giving a few updates on the news. Showed pictures of him with most of the easy stuff off. They felt he had a good chance.