Hello everyone

Vansteen1991

Location (City and/or State)
New york
I would like to start by saying this forum has been amazing. So much info for a new tortoise owner. I adopted an eastern hermanns tortoise named Burt and have been working on building the right enclosure. I'm not exactly sure how old he is or if he's is even a he's lol. I was told he was about 1 years old. He was brought in a small 20 gallon tank and I soon purchased a zoo med tortoise table (2x3). I am planning on building him a larger enclosed chamber enclosure but in order to do so I have to move him to my unfinished basement which will be cold in the winter because I live in New York. I have the material to build him a 4wx4lx30"h. The material is 3/4 pvc board. If anyone has any pointers on what I should put inside the enclosure or good ways to care for the little guy please let me know. I've read so many care sheets and they all say something different. Thanks guys

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You can follow HermanniChris's care sheet. It's the one we have pinned towards the top of the Hermanns section here on the Forum. I don't think your tortoise needs a closed chamber now. That's more for hatchlings, and not necessarily for the Mediterranean species.

Vansteen1991

New york
You can follow HermanniChris's care sheet. It's the one we have pinned towards the top of the Hermanns section here on the Forum. I don't think your tortoise needs a closed chamber now. That's more for hatchlings, and not necessarily for the Mediterranean species.
I was thinking a closed chamber would help me keep the right temp in the cold basement. I assumed the open table would be harder to keep at the right temp and the closed chamber would use less electric. I will also check the care sheet. Thank you

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Ah, I see. Yes, in that case a closed chamber would work, but you do n't need too much humidity in it.

Sa Ga

MN
Morla wishes you a warm welcome! ?❤