Hello everyone!

Noelluene

Location (City and/or State)
Shenzhen, China
Hello! I am a turtle and tortoise keeper from China with around 6 years of experience. Currently I am studying as a marine science student. I work for a local NGO here that specializes in helping reptiles and amphibians. Unfortunately, many people abandon their pet turtles because they don't like them anymore or think they belong in a pond at a park. It makes he quite angry. Anyway I try my best to help out these animals and I personally keep 2 turtles myself. Currently I have a False Map Turtle and an Eastern Hermann's Tortoise. Actually, I haven't come up with proper names for them yet...

My map turtle is around 4 years old and is a male. He likes splashing around in his tank and is super personable. He loves human attention and would come right up to the glass when he sees people come into the room. Sometimes he likes playing a bit too much and gets distracted by people when eating, consequently resulting in him not eating the food. That's why when I feed him he is kept in an opaque container and stay out of his sight.

My Hermann's tortoise is also a male at 6-7 years old. He spends most of his time either sleeping or splashing around in his pool and making a mess. He also likes my attention and would often beg for food whenever he sees me. Ofc I don't fall for it... Usually. His favorite food is tomatoes as he viciously eats all of them every time I give him some. Tomatoes are a rare and occasional treat for him tho. Sometimes I take him for walks outside so he can soak up some natural sunlight and just be a tortoise.

Nice to meet you all, an I hope to learn more about turtles and tortoises here!

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi and welcome
I think you have a very interesting job helping reptiles and amphibians.

I know very little about turtles but I do know there is a lot of old advice still being given on the internet by pet stores and even by some breeders and vets about tortoise care. So this is the most up to date caresheet you'll find anywhere to help with the Hermanns tort.

and this is the section which covers turtles

If you want to post some pics of your enclosures and the lamps you use you'll get good feedback on making them safe and happy homes for your tort and turtle.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Hello and welcome to the forum ? I can't wait to see some pictures of what you do on your job. And your tort and turtle as well.