Hello Everyone!

MMARC234

Location (City and/or State)
South Louisiana
As the title says, “Hello Everyone!” I’m a new, unofficial co-owner to a male Russian tortoise named Vlad as of Sunday afternoon. I’ve owned/own dogs, cats, freshwater fish, blue tongue skinks, hamsters, Guinea pigs, mini pigs, rats, chickens, ducks, a turkey, and exotic birds, but never a tortoise. He belongs to my mom, but I can already tell I’ll probably end up taking over the majority of his care— which I can thankfully do. Right now he’s temporarily in a 40 gallon breeder, but I’m upgrading him ASAP since I saw the minimum requirements (8x4, holy sh-)

So I guess my main question and concern is this— I don’t think I could feel 100% comfortable housing him outside, because our (Louisiana) yard is mostly clay and floods for any steady rainfall over half an inch, plus there’re raccoons, possums, and cats that roam around the backyard at night. So what could I buy/build to make Vlad’s life here the best he could have?

Thanks for reading,

Morgan

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
1st....pics?

We all love pics! lol

OK Morgan, I'm certainly not always the sharpest knife in the drawer...LOL....but for your situation, I may be able to offer some insight to the obvious....it doesn't have to be floor space! If you build a tortoise table, you can "more easily" fit it into your home b/c with a table, comes storage underneath! You can set it up so you can make it perform multiple duties. Some guys start with an empty bookcase. I will suggest that you seriously look around here at the care sheets...they are the best you will find, anywhere.

It takes a lot of heart...passion to be willing to make "adjustments" for one of our little friends. My little one was in an outdoor enclosure, safe from racoons & other predators...and got predated upon by what the folks here who know, say was a rat. It chewed her shell from the front to back about 3/4" on top and got into blood....it was feeding on my little girl while she was alive and unable to protect herself. She's behind me now in her little Winter home. It sucks because we'd already had sub freezing temps and she was doing fine with getting ready for winter. I respect what you are doing......

jeff

and welcome to the club......you landed at the right spot for your little guy!

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
Welcome to the forum you , your mom and Vlad.

AmandaF

Congresbury
As the title says, “Hello Everyone!” I’m a new, unofficial co-owner to a male Russian tortoise named Vlad as of Sunday afternoon. I’ve owned/own dogs, cats, freshwater fish, blue tongue skinks, hamsters, Guinea pigs, mini pigs, rats, chickens, ducks, a turkey, and exotic birds, but never a tortoise. He belongs to my mom, but I can already tell I’ll probably end up taking over the majority of his care— which I can thankfully do. Right now he’s temporarily in a 40 gallon breeder, but I’m upgrading him ASAP since I saw the minimum requirements (8x4, holy sh-)

So I guess my main question and concern is this— I don’t think I could feel 100% comfortable housing him outside, because our (Louisiana) yard is mostly clay and floods for any steady rainfall over half an inch, plus there’re raccoons, possums, and cats that roam around the backyard at night. So what could I buy/build to make Vlad’s life here the best he could have?

Thanks for reading,

Morgan
Welcome, the people here are friendly & knowledgeable
amanda

zolasmum

5 Year Member

Thanks for reading,

Morgan
One other thing you might be able to do is make another floor on top, with a a ramp leading between them.
Angie

MMARC234

South Louisiana
1st....pics?

We all love pics! lol

OK Morgan, I'm certainly not always the sharpest knife in the drawer...LOL....but for your situation, I may be able to offer some insight to the obvious....it doesn't have to be floor space! If you build a tortoise table, you can "more easily" fit it into your home b/c with a table, comes storage underneath! You can set it up so you can make it perform multiple duties. Some guys start with an empty bookcase. I will suggest that you seriously look around here at the care sheets...they are the best you will find, anywhere.

It takes a lot of heart...passion to be willing to make "adjustments" for one of our little friends. My little one was in an outdoor enclosure, safe from racoons & other predators...and got predated upon by what the folks here who know, say was a rat. It chewed her shell from the front to back about 3/4" on top and got into blood....it was feeding on my little girl while she was alive and unable to protect herself. She's behind me now in her little Winter home. It sucks because we'd already had sub freezing temps and she was doing fine with getting ready for winter. I respect what you are doing......

jeff

and welcome to the club......you landed at the right spot for your little guy!
After a hectic day yesterday, I finally have a chance to look at replies!

First up, a picture of Vlad’s unimpressed look at his new water dish and his hungry face as of this morning.

I didn’t even think about a tort table that can pull off being storage (which, duh, is really obvious.)

I’ve started looking at the sites care sheets before I even joined and I’m super impressed. It’s clear that this community cares about the husbandry and the education of/about tortoises.

I’m sorry to hear about what happened to your girl, the reason we figured out that raccoons could slip into the backyard is because they reached into our rooster pen and left a bloodbath.

Attachments

• 33305079-EC3A-43DA-9D1D-7BAC62FE3998.jpeg
    33305079-EC3A-43DA-9D1D-7BAC62FE3998.jpeg
    163.7 KB · Views: 7
  • 6FF947E3-F8A1-4D09-A80D-C78768D5AA9E.jpeg
    6FF947E3-F8A1-4D09-A80D-C78768D5AA9E.jpeg
    155.2 KB · Views: 5

Mrs.Jennifer

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Norwich CT
That’s a good idea too, and it could reduce the overall footprint of his cage… something to think about.
I just want to add that I have a second story feeding platform for my 18+ year old Russian. If you want to add a second story, the thing that is most important to remember is that a ramp needs a 1:2 ratio. For every 1 foot of rise, the ramp needs 2 feet of length. It can be done, but it needs a lot of forethought.

MMARC234

South Louisiana
I just want to add that I have a second story feeding platform for my 18+ year old Russian. If you want to add a second story, the thing that is most important to remember is that a ramp needs a 1:2 ratio. For every 1 foot of rise, the ramp needs 2 feet of length. It can be done, but it needs a lot of forethought.
Makes sense. You don’t want the incline to be so steep they just slide/fall back down. If I decide to go that route, hopefully my ramp wouldn’t be as bad as the ones’ at the local college. Lord knows I struggled climbing those stupid things.

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Makes sense. You don’t want the incline to be so steep they just slide/fall back down. If I decide to go that route, hopefully my ramp wouldn’t be as bad as the ones’ at the local college. Lord knows I struggled climbing those stupid things.
You would also have to have a wall of some sort either side of the ramp, so Vlad couldn't fall sideways and end up on his back.
Angie

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
Vlad is a Beast among beasts! I just love the "look"! It's pretty amazing to me that they said the dino's went extinct.....no they didn't! LOL

Thanks for posting the pics......

Good luck and enjoy the holidays

MMARC234

South Louisiana
Vlad is a Beast among beasts! I just love the "look"! It's pretty amazing to me that they said the dino's went extinct.....no they didn't! LOL

Thanks for posting the pics......

Good luck and enjoy the holidays
He probably would think that about himself lol

Hope your holidays are great, too!