hello everyone

Status
Not open for further replies.

yayatouretoise

5 Year Member
299135_10150408172302755_618252754_9924282_1160665229_n.jpg

hi everyone finally got my first tort =] im kelly. nice to meet u all
hopefully the above works lol that is my new little guy yaya touretoise (named after the man city player =])
i got him on sunday as a surprise off my partner. we had a table set up already with a uv strip light and basking light. but he doesnt seem very active he burried himself down in his bedding area and has stayed there as far as im aware. with me being in work i dont know if he is pottering around or not. have i just got new mum worry syndrome? i stroked his head just to check he was ok n let out a little sqeek and hid back in in his shell, think i startelled the wee fella. im assuming with it coming into winter he wont be as active, and he is only 18 months old so i dont want to hibernate him. i feel all the research i did goes out the window when i got him and im a little flustered now. does he look healthy to you guys?

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
:D Welcome Kelly! Nice looking tortoises, but he looks a lot older then 18 months to me. I would also guess, it was a wild caught looking at how rough the center of those scutes look to me in that picture.

If your Russian is not being very active, my very first question would be... down at the substrate level where he is, how hot does it get during the day, what is the temp of the cooler side, and the same question at night. Next would be lighting questions, mainly how long are they one? Also can you clarify something, what type of basking light (a red light, one that gives actual light not just heat, or what)?

He is also new to you and that moving in to a new place stress sometimes takes a few days to get over. Is he eating? If so what or what have you offered?

Once more, glad you have joined us and the wonderful world of tortoise keeping! :D :tort:

yayatouretoise

5 Year Member
I don't think he is wild as there were a few babys there n I got the biggest one lol size wise he is about 4 inches long head to tail if that is an indicator to age. I have a tropical 10.0 uvb strip bulb and a basking light which is white with a silver reflector which gives heat and light. At the opposite end to the basking light the temp is 22c n under the table there is a small heat mat in that corner. I was told buy the seller she feeds them lettace n other vegatables and occasionally the odd grape. I have put out a little dish of mixed lettaces but he doesn't seemed fussed.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
Hello and welcome to the forum Kelly, I also think your russian is older that 18 months...

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Kelly:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

May we know where you are?

yayatouretoise

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
Hi Kelly:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

May we know where you are?

Sorry(",) I'm from Manchester in England

We changed his home around earlier today and he seems abit more happy he was wandering around n chomping away on his food. Checked on him before n he has bulldozed his way thru his tank haha
How old do you think he may be?

cherylim

5 Year Member
Leyland, UK
Hello and welcome!

Good to see another North West person. Always like seeing people who live nearby, as much as I love our US and European friends. :)

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
If I had to guess, I would say your tortoise is 3+ years old maybe closer to 5-6

Status
Not open for further replies.