Hello everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TortoiseBoy1999

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Palmdale CA
Hi everyone I'm new to this! I am a proud owner of a Russian tortoise named Stanley. I've had him since April 14 2012 and I'm still learning. He is 2 years old and still growing I think. I am going to purchase a African Spurred tortoise soon so that is very exciting. I would be glad if I could get some pointers on caring for Russian and Africans. I know all the general stuff and everything I just would appreciate little details. Heres a pic of the one I have now:

Attachments

• image-907784345.png
    image-907784345.png
    499.6 KB · Views: 43

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Welcome to the Forum :D and Stanley is a handsome one....my biggest advice would be to be certain to set up two individual enclosures in and outside.....

You are doing good, your tort is beautiful....:D

KimandKarasi

5 Year Member
Houston, Texas
Hello tortoiseboy! Lol, and welcome to TFO! :D separate housing, like she said above, should be taken very seriously, I know my African spurred doesn't like visitors in her pen no matter the species.. :p and no matter what the stores tell you, do not get that alfalfa hay pellet substrate or sand! Both can cause a lot of problems, so try to stick with coco coir, regular dirt, sphagnum moss or cypress mulch. :) those, as far as I've heard, are the best! :D

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi TortoiseBoy1999:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

I'm afraid your Russian (Steppe) tortoise is older than 2. He looks more like 8 or 10 years of age to me.

What would you like us to call you?

...and may we know appx. where in the world you are?

TortoiseBoy1999

5 Year Member
Palmdale CA
emysemys said:
Hi TortoiseBoy1999:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

I'm afraid your Russian (Steppe) tortoise is older than 2. He looks more like 8 or 10 years of age to me.

What would you like us to call you?

...and may we know appx. where in the world you are?

No he is 3 the people I got him from got him from the Petco. And I live in Palmdale California (which is like around L.A. We've been there quite a few times) and just call me TortoiseBoy

KimandKarasi said:
Hello tortoiseboy! Lol, and welcome to TFO! :D separate housing, like she said above, should be taken very seriously, I know my African spurred doesn't like visitors in her pen no matter the species.. :p and no matter what the stores tell you, do not get that alfalfa hay pellet substrate or sand! Both can cause a lot of problems, so try to stick with coco coir, regular dirt, sphagnum moss or cypress mulch. :) those, as far as I've heard, are the best! :D

I have coconut soil bark and I'm working on building a outside pin for him and the African tortoise.

KimandKarasi

5 Year Member
Houston, Texas
TortoiseBoy1999 said:
No he is 3 the people I got him from got him from the Petco. And I live in Palmdale California (which is like around L.A. We've been there quite a few times) and just call me TortoiseBoy

I have coconut soil bark and I'm working on building a outside pin for him and the African tortoise.

Sadly a lot of times Petco has no idea how old the tortoises are, they are just there to sell them.. Do those pens happen to be separated outside? Lol

TortoiseBoy1999

5 Year Member
Palmdale CA
KimandKarasi said:
Sadly a lot of times Petco has no idea how old the tortoises are, they are just there to sell them.. Do those pens happen to be separated outside? Lol

Ok I guess you know better than me!

KimandKarasi said:

(and I'm not be sarcastic ;) )

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
As I understand it, Petco sell Wild Caught tortoises... they will be a few years old when caught, not hatchlings :)

Status
Not open for further replies.