Hello everyone:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

bdavison

5 Year Member
Hi, I'm Becky. We have a sulcatta that is around 2 (I think), 15 red-eared sliders, a box turtle, and 4 dogs. The only turtle/tortoise that we didn't rescue is Charlotte, our sulcatta. She was an impulse buy. (The babies are SO cute!)The pet store told me to feed her fruit and that she would grow to be no larger than a dinner plate. Luckily, we take even our impulse buys seriously and I got on the internet as soon as I got home. After the shock of seeing a child riding on my tortoise that would get no larger than a dinner plate, I read up on what to feed her and fenced in a section of the yard that was off-limits to the dogs. They are used to it, they can't get to the turtle pond either. During the summer Charlotte has the run of her yard which is planted with hibiscus, grasses, dandelions, clover and lettuces. A section comes in under the shaded awning to give her somewhere to stay dry and she has a heating pad under a large fern where she sleeps. That heat pad is homebase for her. Wherever I put it, she comes at night. Convenient when the grass is high. She comes inside whenever it gets below about 75, and if it rains hard or long enough that her sleep area is wet. We live in Northern Florida, and this time of year, she spends more time inside than out. I'm concerned about what to feed her, how to give her access to water, and if she is getting enough exercise, etc. during the winter months. She is pretty big for her tub, and way too big for last winter's water container. So, I'm here, where I will no doubt find advice on all of it:) I have always found forums to be a great place to learn and to blab about your crazy pets that your friends really have no interest in. Looking forward to becoming part of your community.
I have attached a picture of her within a few months of getting her, and one I took tonight. (She was sleeping and I rudely took her out of the hole she happily dug in her fresh dirt tonight, so she is sulking and won't come out) She weighs almost 3 lbs. And no, I don't really know the sex, but if she turns into Charlie, we're prepared for it:)

Attachments

• photo (2).JPG
    photo (2).JPG
    802.3 KB · Views: 24
  • photo (3).JPG
    photo (3).JPG
    294.5 KB · Views: 28

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum, Becky.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome.:) Living in Florida, you should be able to keep her outside all year. Build a dog/tort house and you could use a CHE to heat it if it gets too cold. People that live in snowy states keep their adults outside year round. As long as they have a place to go and warm up and stay dry. Now, I know yours isn't an adult, but by the pic it looks big enough for outside 24/7, if she's around 8 inches or so. BTW, she looks great. Natural grazing with what is in her pen is good to feed. Also, Mazuri tortoise food about twice a week would be nice to add. You can also add dark leafy greens, like kale, endive, mustard greens, etc. Also optunia cactus.

bdavison

5 Year Member
Thank you everyone:) I'm happy you think she looks good, so far. But I think she is pyramiding, and from all I have gotten here, that's not good. Off to another thread for better pictures and more screening by you all.

Status
Not open for further replies.