Hello excited to meet you.

Stephnbobby

My name is Steph and my three girls, my boyfriend Bobby and I are thrilled our tortoise adventure starts this week. We will join our little Morla a Sulcata to our family which includes 2 cats (Mary -11,Pia -just under a year), a Blue Fronted Amazon Parrot( Sam - 9), our YorkiePoo (Rori - 2), an Albino Gardner (Bobby- under a year) and multiple fish tanks. We live on just under 2 acres which I am fortunate to out right own ( just taxes no mortgage) in a wooded suberb in Upstate NY. My boyfriend Bobby lives at his own apartment just around 10 minutes away which is important to note as he has the construction know how when I get the ideas to build something! He also after over 20 years can easily keep me focused and on track. I have a tendency to over indule our pets. My love for amphibians and tortoises(turtles) has been life long. This year ironicaly while helping quite a few hatchling snapping turtles cross the road, by my house on my way to work, the notion it was time for our family to include a toroise of our own came to mind. This started massive searches into what the laws and regulations were on top of researching all the varing sizes and habitats each tortois would bring to our home. I loved the Sulcala right away while looking at rescues but was deterred by the ultimate size. I new I could have space but would the family approve of the dedication a large being requires. That's when the Russian Tortois became the focus for me as they stay small. Scouring ads and pictues along with all the excellent information on this forum ( which is why I joined last week -I procrastinated) is how I came across a fellow member who had a picture of a baby salcata, I knew right away ,my heart lept and it was certain I had to make contact. My expectations where blown away by the information and fantastic communication. We have a habitat all set up and an well respected tortois Vet Dr. Green on board. I am fortunate he has years of experience with the Sulcata to better provide for our growing Morla. We are so excited were already potting a winter garden from our yard for Morla to eat. Honestly I even took the day off from work to welcome Morla soon to our family! Our entire family is learning together how to be prepared in order to provide a safe and stable home for our newest growing member. It has been very rewarding and educational being on this forum please feel free to offer experiences and helpful tid bits of information. Pictures will folow as soon as I figure out how, saw there is a helpfull link and will learn.
Thank you for reading,
Steph and family

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello Steph welcome to the TFO from AZ and the life of careing for torts . Have a great tort day!

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum

lismar79

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ohio USA
Welcome! Love the name! Is this after The Never ending story movie?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum, Steph!

474158gy04azrh2x.gif

Stephnbobby

Yes it is we love the movie, thank you all for the warm welcome :) Morla arrived about an hr ago and immediatly took a soaking which brought about quite a lot of moving around! I kept re warming the water and it was very appreciated :) I was gathering grape, sedum, strawberry,marigold,geranium leaves and some kentucky bluegrass for morla when Morla came. So far moving all around her tank already had to rearrange as climbing was expected but not so well so the hazard had to be taken out. There was a grape vine think and knoted with a strawberry plant behing it but the mount it created looked like a flipping hazard when she climbed all over it. The kids and I are so thankfull all is going so well xoxo! It is so relieving to add the breeder was watching and already inquired how Morla was doing it is honestly humbling how ya'll truly care :)

Stephnbobby

Morlas tail wagging has us highly entertained and can't seem to do anything but watch,watch,and watch some more!