Hello fellow tort admirers

matt perl

I found a breeder 200km away with a red foot says he's got a special one 8 month old with a unique shell. He's willing to make a deal if I want that one
Sent me pics.
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1398374466.744153.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1398374483.476401.jpg

I think I'm gonna go for it

If it pyramids a lot it could be an issue?

Ashes

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Iowa
You can't reverse pyramiding, but you can smooth out new growth by keeping the humidity levels up, I believe. I just keep mine as hydrated as possible without keeping the enclosure soaking wet. I've got it down to keeping my humidity above 80% now! Yay! Lol. So this one has split scutes and I can't remember if that's a bad thing or just cosmetic from how the egg was kept - I'll let the experts chime in on that one.

Ashes

5 Year Member
Iowa
Is the baby one for sale? Looks good!

matt perl

Yeah he has a bunch of different ones apparently he just sent that pic to compare I'd really like to get more opinions and see if this is a long term issue or not
I like that its unique but if its gonna be an issue than I may have to talk about getting a different one

Nolan1992

Yeah he has a bunch of different ones apparently he just sent that pic to compare I'd really like to get more opinions and see if this is a long term issue or not
I like that its unique but if its gonna be an issue than I may have to talk about getting a different one

The pyramiding isn't bad on him. You can't fix it, but you can keep it from getting worse. As far as split scutes go, it is a cosmetic thing, not a bad thing. My sulcata has some extra scutes. Makes him "unique".

Nolan1992

I'd also recommend getting a juvenile. They have a bigger margin of error. You can get the hang of it and then consider getting a baby in the future. Just a recommendation.

matt perl

That's exactly what I was thinking
This one is 8 months so Im confident as opposed to having a hatchling

Ashes

5 Year Member
Iowa
I love my RF, but I'm sure everyone says that about their own. ;)

Nolan1992

I wouldn't mind a different one just have to buy different equipment

I think you should look into a Hermanns tort, honestly my favorite species. They are very hardy torts, and their personalities will have you watching all day. Mine is hilarious, he's about 5 years old and he's seriously my best friend. YES, my tortoise is my best friend lol

Last edited:

Ashes

5 Year Member
Iowa
I think you should look into a Hermanns tort, honestly my favorite species. They are very hardy torts, and they're personalities will have you watching all day. Mine is hilarious, he's about 5 years old and he's seriously my best friend. YES, my tortoise is my best friend lol
Hey, I agree!! Mine doesn't have much of a personality yet but he's only a couple months old. Lol.

matt perl

I just got off the phone with the breeder who came to my parents place to show them the 8 month old cherry red foot
I asked him as many questions as I could think of
And I feel safe with this choice
He flat out told me I shouldn't have been trying to raise a one month old hatchling with no information on it so now I feel terrible
He said any reputable reptile person would tell you not to take home any tort that is less than 3 months old

mikeh

5 Year Member
Given the animal has good amount of pyramiding at this young age I am gonna say this breeder is lacking knowledge about how to raise redfoots. That is unless it was not his as hatchling. Many of us have gotten tortoises much younger then 3 months from reputable sources. True the older the animal the less fragile.

Last edited:

Ashes

5 Year Member
Iowa
I just got off the phone with the breeder who came to my parents place to show them the 8 month old cherry red foot
I asked him as many questions as I could think of
And I feel safe with this choice
He flat out told me I shouldn't have been trying to raise a one month old hatchling with no information on it so now I feel terrible
He said any reputable reptile person would tell you not to take home any tort that is less than 3 months old
I got my tort at only a few weeks old (I thought he was 2 months old) with hardly any knowledge. I've had him for a month and he's doing very well. Eats, drinks, poos, hides. That's his day as a baby. And I agree with mike - with the pyramiding on that 8 month old, I think HE is the one lacking knowledge on raising torts IF he raised that one from hatchling. Go with your gut. :) either way, I'm sure this next one will be great!

Ashes

5 Year Member
Iowa
And don't feel terrible.

mikeh

5 Year Member
I also would like to see the plastron of this animal.

Ashes

5 Year Member
Iowa
Have him send you a pic. :)

matt perl

I got a new cherry head today :) I'm staying positive
I cleaned the terrarium and bought all new substrate
I have an issue I was hoping someone could give me some insight
I have the 75watt basking bulb
A 24 watt heating pad underneath
A 12 watt heating pad along the side
And the 13watt UVB light

The tank is at 80 degrees on the side with the basking lamp and humidity is at 75
The side with the UVB light is 72 degrees and humidity is 50

If I turn off the basking bulb to go to sleep and leave the UVB light on
Will the tank cool down TOO much throughout the night? ?

Should i go and buy a separate heating bulb for at night so the tank stays warm 24/7
I don't wanna cook my tort but I'm wondering what I can do to keep it warm constantly

Also, I just went and pre ordered the exo repti-fogger, I've heard it can be great for red foots if kept on low. Doesn't come in for a few days though.

But than if the tank gets too cold and the fogger is on could it be harmful to the tort?

What else can I do to keep the little guy warm?
I live in a basement where it can get a little cool so I'm looking to figure something out.

I really wanna stay positive and just hope that I can keep this little guy healthy.