Iowa
I got a new cherry head today :) I'm staying positive
I cleaned the terrarium and bought all new substrate
I have an issue I was hoping someone could give me some insight
I have the 75watt basking bulb
A 24 watt heating pad underneath
A 12 watt heating pad along the side
And the 13watt UVB light

The tank is at 80 degrees on the side with the basking lamp and humidity is at 75
The side with the UVB light is 72 degrees and humidity is 50

If I turn off the basking bulb to go to sleep and leave the UVB light on
Will the tank cool down TOO much throughout the night? ?

Should i go and buy a separate heating bulb for at night so the tank stays warm 24/7
I don't wanna cook my tort but I'm wondering what I can do to keep it warm constantly

Also, I just went and pre ordered the exo repti-fogger, I've heard it can be great for red foots if kept on low. Doesn't come in for a few days though.

But than if the tank gets too cold and the fogger is on could it be harmful to the tort?

What else can I do to keep the little guy warm?
I live in a basement where it can get a little cool so I'm looking to figure something out.

I really wanna stay positive and just hope that I can keep this little guy healthy.
You don't wanna leave the uv or basking light on overnight. I have a CHE and that goes on overnight while the lights are off so it stays about 78-80 degrees but there's no light (I wouldn't want to sleep with the light on all the time) - I'd recommend you get one of those. A lot of the time, I turn my auto mister off at night so it's not cooler AND wet. I have foil covering the top of my enclosure (because it's a screen) except where the bulbs are and I've been able to keep the humidity above 80% now with the ambient temp between 81-84. I've never used heating pads so I don't know about those. His coco floor is warm and not puddled with water. It took me a month to get it where it is so I'm sure you will do fine. When you get the CHE, just make sure you have a ceramic outlet dome for it.

Ashes

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Iowa
Oh and on top of the automatic mister, I mist/spray the enclosure walls and moss twice a day (when I wake up and at night). This seems to really help keep the humidity up even though I have the auto mister going off throughout the day..

matt perl

So CHE for night time Is the most efficient
I don't wanna cook the little guy so should I try and have it suspended a couple feet away or something ?

Ashes

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Iowa
Yes, CHE is the best way to go. :) mine sits on the screen top, about a foot above the enclosure floor and that's perfect for mine. You might just have to experiment. Red foots are tropical. I'm sure some days are hotter than others. :) if you have only the CHE on at night, you shouldn't cook him. Most people buy one of those plug in thermostats to plug the CHE into - I haven't needed it but I would have bought one had the temp gotten warmer than I wanted. I might still have to depending on how hot my house is in the summer. :)