Hello!!! First time Red Footed Tortoise Owner

Rus Curtis

Hello!!!

I am Rus and I have my very first Tortoise - please meet Maverick my Red Footed Tortoise! Just over 1 years old and lives with me and my Chocolate Labrador Bauer!!!

I have a proper Tortoise Terrarium and read loads of books and got plenty of advice before I bought Maverick! I have some questions about
Pyramiding though as his shell has started to do it and I am confused why as the heat is fine, plenty of water available, eats regularly and the tank gets sprayed regularly to keep the humidity up but I have trouble keeping it at a high level! I keep a log of Mavericks weight on a regular basis and he is consistently growing (I know I probable can't tell the sex yet so I just refer to him as a he!)

Any advice for a first time owner about anything would be amazing!
image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.png

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Welcome.
You've answered your own question.
Humidity.
Try closing off most of the top of your enclosure.
Also try using orchid bark under potting soil.
Pour water into the corners and the bark will absorb it but the top layer will stay dry.
The water will be released as humidity

Slow and steady

S.E. Florida
Hi Rus! I just joined the forum today as well. I'm sure some of the more experienced members will have advice on Mav's pyramiding for you. I'd just like to warn you about the dangers of mixing dogs and small torts. I'm sure your handsome lab is extremely reliable and gentle around Maverick. Just keep in mind, he is a dog with dog instincts, and Maverick looks a lot to him like a wind-up squeeky toy. I'm sure their play time is responsibly chaperoned, but it only takes a minute for a disaster to happen. I'm not judging, I'd just like to pass on a very hard (and painfully) learned lesson I recently experienced. In the meantime, welcome, and congratulations on your redfoot. They're a trip. Here's my Janet:
20161113_102449.jpg

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hi, Rus, and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum to you and Maverick.:)
I agree with what's been said above but would also add that the floor is not the best place for your tortoise, not only the dog, but drafts, dust bunnies (as well as dog hair) and other small objects are all dangerous and you can't control temps or the humidity your little guy needs.