Hello from a new tortoise mom!

boardpunkchic

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Hello! My name is Danielle and I have a 6 month old cherry head named Soup! ( I think he is a cherry head can anyone confirm? He has the large elbow spurs) I’ve had him a little less than 3 weeks. He’s very shy in his house but not head shy when I take him out. I keep his humidity at 80%. He has a heat lamp and UV light on a timer, 12 on 12 off. I will post some photos of his enclosure soon. I’m still making improvements. He has Spagmum Moss now but I just ordered cocoa coir to mix in.
I soak him every other day for 10-15 min. He eats spring mix with a variety of fruits and veggies. For protein so far he likes meal worms (I now know grubs are better).

Should I be concerned about the line/indentation on his shell? He has a healthy appetite and chewed his cuttlebone a bit. I have calcium powder but am not sure how much to give. He’s only 2.7 x 2.2 inches.

Sorry if I posted in the wrong area. Nice to meet everyone!

Edit- added an in progress photo of his house. I have since added some plants ( aloe and wandering jew)

Danielle & Soup

40F852CF-FFBB-4574-B3BD-4DB51A6CCB68.jpeg 6A14D601-DC18-4BB5-9E05-158A17C0888F.jpeg 5A71DC90-7FB6-4247-ABA0-F3AE4F6B3A2A.jpeg 3C420057-3815-4782-A4AD-FBCFDFD7643D.jpeg

T Smart

5 Year Member
Chicago, IL
Hi, welcome!

It's going to be hard to keep up humidity with an open top enclosure. You said you keep it at 80%, but is this constant throughout the day?

Someone with more experience with Redfoots will help with the other questions. I'm clueless!

boardpunkchic

5 Year Member
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Hi, welcome!

It's going to be hard to keep up humidity with an open top enclosure. You said you keep it at 80%, but is this constant throughout the day?

Someone with more experience with Redfoots will help with the other questions. I'm clueless!
I have a reptile humidifier with an electronic hydrometer. I cover half of the open part of his enclosure with plastic. The plastic covers are the long trays used under plants. I think he likes it because it also offers him more privacy.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
It looks like you have two hides in the outside area. I would remove them as there is already a built in hide. You can put them in there if they fit. He needs the walking space they are taking up in the outer area.
Be sure to keep the top layer of substrate dry to prevent shell rot while still keeping humidity to 80%.

Minority2

Tortoise Hell
I have a reptile humidifier with an electronic hydrometer. I cover half of the open part of his enclosure with plastic. The plastic covers are the long trays used under plants. I think he likes it because it also offers him more privacy.

1. Does the plastic covers in any way block the UV(B) bulb?

Any physical material such as metal and plastic will completely block out UV(B) rays. The enclosure's mesh grating is large and wide enough to not be a problem. The plastic, depending on how it is used, may be.

2. What type of UV(B) bulb are you using?

Certain types of UV(B) bulbs such as compact florescent bulbs are known to cause severe eye issues in tortoises. Compact florescent bulbs are shaped like a coil or bent U-shapes. If you have one, stop using it.

Use linear florescent bulbs instead:
http://www.reptilebasics.com/arcadia-desert-12-uvb/
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AQU8HAO/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

3. What are you using for night time heating?

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Welcome from a fellow Redfoot keeper. He looks like a normal Redfoot to me not a cherryhead.

boardpunkchic

5 Year Member
Fort Lauderdale, FL

Any physical material such as metal and plastic will completely block out UV(B) rays. The enclosure's mesh grating is large and wide enough to not be a problem. The plastic, depending on how it is used, may be.

Certain types of UV(B) bulbs such as compact florescent bulbs are known to cause severe eye issues in tortoises. Compact florescent bulbs are shaped like a coil or bent U-shapes. If you have one, stop using it.

I live in South Florida and his enclosure is on an enclosed porch. His enclosure never gets below 65/70° at night.

The plastic does not block out any of the UV. I was just using it to help keep the humidity in and make him more comfortable since he’s still shy.

9081EBFE-9728-4647-906E-57EDC10B41D2.jpeg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome, even though you've been a member for a long time. Nice to see you finally posting! I like the inventive idea for using the plant saucers. ;)

boardpunkchic

5 Year Member
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Welcome, even though you've been a member for a long time. Nice to see you finally posting! I like the inventive idea for using the plant saucers. ;)
Thank you :) I've been reading about the coil UV bulbs and now I'm very concerned that maybe that is why he hides most of the time. I have one of those long florescent bulbs at home so I will change them when I got off work.

boardpunkchic

5 Year Member
Fort Lauderdale, FL

Thank you for the info on the UV bulbs. I do have a Reptisun linear bulb so I will change it as soon as I get home. I have only had him 3 weeks so he should be ok right? All the information on here about the coil bulbs got me worried!

Minority2

Tortoise Hell
Thank you for the info on the UV bulbs. I do have a Reptisun linear bulb so I will change it as soon as I get home. I have only had him 3 weeks so he should be ok right? All the information on here about the coil bulbs got me worried!

Yes please change it out. I would also suggest taping the exposed surrounding areas and gaps around the top enclosure and long plant saucers down so that your enclosure doesn't have too many large open areas for heat and humidity to easily escape from.

I live in South Florida and his enclosure is on an enclosed porch. His enclosure never gets below 65/70° at night.

The plastic does not block out any of the UV. I was just using it to help keep the humidity in and make him more comfortable since he’s still shy.

View attachment 254396

65-70F is not a good temperature range to leave young hatchling red foots at night. 78-80F is the lowest night time temperature I would recommend for young hatchlings of this species.

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
Welcome to the forum! It's great to meet a new member from the Sunshine State. I'm in the Florida Panhandle, but @ZEROPILOT lives much closer to you. He has a wealth of knowledge and experience dealing with redfoots and would be an excellent resource for you.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Yes please change it out. I would also suggest taping the exposed surrounding areas and gaps around the top enclosure and long plant saucers down so that your enclosure doesn't have too many large open areas for heat and humidity to easily escape from.

65-70F is not a good temperature range to leave young hatchling red foots at night. 78-80F is the lowest night time temperature I would recommend for young hatchlings of this species.
You're correct.
But at this time of year in south Florida it's still very much in the 80s at night.
I bring my animals "inside" when it drops below 60.(IF IT DOES)