Hello...from Albany Louisiana

Gypsy

Location (City and/or State)
Albany, Louisiana
I am so glad to see other people from LA on here.
I have a 6 year old Sulcata named Chewbacca...he came with the name. I call him Chewie and he's had quite a life.
I was living in New River, AZ 2012 and a friend said she knew someone who had a baby Sonoran Desert Tort
would I want it? Sure...so she gives me this 10gal aquarium with all the proper lights, nice set up and an adorable baby tortoise about 4" long. Not my first reptile but my first tortoise.

So the adventure began...I get on the internet and do searches for Sonoran Des. tort. and Chewie looks nothing like what I'm seeing. Scrolling...scrolling....scrolling and there he is. An African Spurred Tortoise...lives longer than me and will get as big as a VW Bug....great.
I love him madly and he is now Chewie the Traveling Tortoise on FB...we moved from AZ to South Dakota where I had lived for a number of years then back down to Louisiana. I have many stories of our travels together with 4 dogs & a horse...I need to write a book.

This forum is just what I need. New and helpful info for my buddy to make sure I'm on track.
I'm contemplating a search for a rescue male sulcata, a companion for Chewie but have gotten different opinions on this. I know they are all individuals and may not buddy up.
Any input on this would be greatly appreciated. I just want the best for Chewie.

17952724_10209250397836208_7201281315405099463_n.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

Chewie looks great. You've done a nice job raising her. If you have the space for two separate sulcata yards, then, by all means, go ahead and get another sulcata, but don't think you're going to be able to keep them in the same yard. Tortoises are territorial and don't want other tortoises in their territory. Your friendly, personable Chewie may become a whole different tortoise, and not nearly as nice as she is now, if you put another tortoise in with her.

Gypsy

Albany, Louisiana
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

Chewie looks great. You've done a nice job raising her. If you have the space for two separate sulcata yards, then, by all means, go ahead and get another sulcata, but don't think you're going to be able to keep them in the same yard. Tortoises are territorial and don't want other tortoises in their territory. Your friendly, personable Chewie may become a whole different tortoise, and not nearly as nice as she is now, if you put another tortoise in with her.
Hi Yvonne,
I had a feeling...and I think I read somewhere that sulcatas were like this but I see people with multiples sometimes in an outdoor yard.
Would it of been different if I had 2 babies raised together? And how do these huge places that raise them house their sulcatas together?
Thanks

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
No, the difference is "multiples." Two very seldom ever work out, but when you change the dynamic to three or more, it is better. You may still have fighting, but it works better with a group than with only two.

Gypsy

Albany, Louisiana
No, the difference is "multiples." Two very seldom ever work out, but when you change the dynamic to three or more, it is better. You may still have fighting, but it works better with a group than with only two.
Got it....and that makes sense, so now that I know all this is it ok for Chewie to be alone...his face is hard to read. Do they do better in the company of others?