Hello from Alberta, Canada

Northernamphibians

Location (City and/or State)
Alberta
Hello, I have had sulcata tortoises for over a year now, and just adopted my first babies. I have older sulcatas but would like to see if anyone (especially Danny) could give me a guess on the sex of these 2 new recruits. One is about 4" and the other 6". I know it is difficult to sex at this length, and I know all the anal scute and plastron and gular stuff in older animals, but not too familiar with the babies. I researched and Danny's name keeps coming up as the best guesser! But anyone feel free to guess. I think they look like the same guess and I think I am seeing what Danny described as a curved interface between the anal and femoral scutes, but I am second guessing myself.

First pic is both together, 2nd pic is smaller tort, 3rd pic is larger tort. I would appreciate some incite please. and thank-you, and I hope I can learn more info here in this group.

Attachments

• 2017-09-25 00.28.59.jpg
    2017-09-25 00.28.59.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 12
  • 2017-09-25 00.23.39.jpg
    2017-09-25 00.23.39.jpg
    912 KB · Views: 14
  • thumbnail_2017-09-25%2000_24_12.jpg
    thumbnail_2017-09-25%2000_24_12.jpg
    242.8 KB · Views: 11

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I don't know who "Danny" is, but these two are too young to sex. You can usually tell with sulcatas once they hit 14-15". Prior to that they all tend to look female-ish.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
I don't know who "Danny" is, but these two are too young to sex. You can usually tell with sulcatas once they hit 14-15". Prior to that they all tend to look female-ish.
Thanks Tom.

Northernamphibians

Alberta

Egyptiandan, he was a member on here and the threads come up when you search sexing sulcata and he used to at least have a reputation for accurately sexing young sulcata. Maybe not a member anymore?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Egyptiandan, he was a member on here and the threads come up when you search sexing sulcata and he used to at least have a reputation for accurately sexing young sulcata. Maybe not a member anymore?

Oh yes. Egyptian Dan left a long time ago. No one can sex juvenile sulcatas without surgery. Anyone can guess and have a 50/50 chance of being right.

My favorite is when people ask if its a boy or girl, and I answer: "Yes. Yes it is."