Hello from Alexandria, Virginia!!! Counting all my mistakes!

1wildtiger

Location (City and/or State)
Alexandria VA
Don't worry...we'll get it right! :)

Contact Mark by private message. He will answer all your questions. His enclosures come already outfitted with top of the line equipment. You will love them!
I will this weekend!! Thank you!! If I can't afford what he has, I am hopeful that my friend that did my tabletop will help me again. One way or another, things will improve!!! ?

1wildtiger

Alexandria VA
Welcome to the forum! Down near Richmond, Va now, but I was born in Alexandria, grew up in Reston. I have 2 torts, one is an Eastern Hermann's. Glad you found the forum and were able to make great changes for them. All the best!

Hello and thank you!! Definitely a small world!! I am really glad that I found this site!! I just wish that I had before I got my babies. I hope I haven't messed things up too badly. :)

1wildtiger

Alexandria VA
If you’d like you can see our outdoor enclosures and can give you tips on what you can plant outside...that will tolerate our seasons...for natural tort food

That would be awesome!! I think I need all the help I can get!! They really are more complex than I was aware of. Thank you!!

1wildtiger

Alexandria VA
@1wildtiger

I agree with Karen. You are awesome. Sounds like you already understand most of what to do, but feel free to question any of this info any time. We are here to talk tortoises. :)

Just a couple of things I noticed: The pair thing is a problem. There doesn't have to be outward obvious hostility for it to be a problem. They just don't do well in pairs, not at any age.

Also, it doesn't have to be all indoors or all outdoors. I believe the BEST way to do it is to have both. Use the outdoor enclosure on nice days and when its convenient, and leave them indoors in their enclosure the rest of the time. I put them outside more and more as they gain size. They don't ever have to live outside 100% of the time. You can put them outside in the daytime, and bring them in at night forever if you want to.

There are many ways to do this correctly. Everyone has their own preferences and experiences. I put my way in the care sheet with lots of explanation, but they can stay indoors all the time too, if need be. There are ways to do it successfully.

Thank you Tom!! I am starting to realize how incredibly intricate their care is. I wish I knew sooner so I wouldn't have made so many mistakes. I rescued a red eared slider and other than the upkeep of the tank and filter systems, she is pretty easy compared to these guys!! The pyramiding is really bumming me out now. It's been such a struggle to get the humidity up to par. I wish that I hadn't wasted my time with the tabletop now. I feel desperate to fix this!! Plus, I am aware that, unfortunately, I need to separate them. I appreciate your advice. I will work on correcting my mistakes. Thank you!! :)

1wildtiger

Alexandria VA
Well put as usual, Tom. Everyone has their own quirks about husbandry. About the indoor/outdoor debate...I agree totally with what you say. I see too much well intentioned advice that lacks one important point. Not everyone has the same situation. Geographic location...financial constraints ...availability of resources...space...etc. Many issues can be overcome with creative thinking. I love having the torts outside...but full time is not possible. Could have weeks of drought or weeks of torrential rain here. We can have mild to bad winters. Even though our outdoor enclosures are winged and 4 legged predator proof...they are not 2 legged predator proof. I would not trust in my location...heated “barns” during winter months. Another reason I like to bring the torts in at night and in winter...is it helps in inspecting them daily for potential issues. Do I like to have them in for the winter? ...NO...their indoor enclosures are not as big as I would like ( this could change). But with all other aspects of husbandry correct and routine indoor exercise to keep muscles from atrophying...it works out.

I am going to have to come up with some pretty creative thinking. I will have to do some serious planning on an outdoor enclosure. I might have to actually make something up off of the ground and on wheels!! My backyard floods when we get the really fast, heavy downpours. It looks like a river running down on either side of my house. It's fine with normal rain, when it has time to drain. I have a nice, sunny spot that I was thinking of but if they were out and I wasn't home, they could be under water in no time. UGH!!!!

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Becky, there are two additional ways to solve the closed chamber issue.

The first is to build your own. We have a blueprint for doing this.

The other is using a grow tent to fit over your enclosure. This is the least efficient way, but much better than none.

20200524_162330.jpg

1wildtiger

Alexandria VA
Becky, there are two additional ways to solve the closed chamber issue.

The first is to build your own. We have a blueprint for doing this.

The other is using a grow tent to fit over your enclosure. This is the least efficient way, but much better than none.

View attachment 304735

Great!! Thank you!!! ?