Hello from Arizona!

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Palm Bay Fl
Not Arizona but Oklahoma...... what does it matter
Sorry but everytime I hear or read Arizona that Three Dog Night song plays in my head.LOL

Tortlex

Phoenix, AZ
Before I post pics of the backyard, I also wanted to share pictures of the eggs I incubated from May through August of this year, the same clutch of eggs that Fin hatched from. Is this the right place to do that or should I start another thread?

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Before I post pics of the backyard, I also wanted to share pictures of the eggs I incubated from May through August of this year, the same clutch of eggs that Fin hatched from. Is this the right place to do that or should I start another thread?
I think you want to put it in the sulcata section. More of the right people will see it.

And the backyard could go into "enclosures".

King Arthur

Tortoise Club
Bay Area, California
I am concerned that your new table top enclosure needs a NEW HOME! WOW I don't know if it is the construction (Metal & Glass) or the design that wins it for me. That is art and a whole lot of work!
I thought glass was a no-no because the reflection and exhausting themselves to get out ?

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
You have a really nice set-up all the way around and I’m looking forward to seeing updates pics of your torts and yard. I also have 3 sulcatas. I have one that will be 3 in May and is definitely male. I am almost finished with his permanent outdoor yard that he will move into this spring.. I have two more clutch mates that will be 1 in April. They are all housed separately and it takes a lot of planning but I have really enjoyed doing it. It’s good for me to follow your thread:)

Tortlex

Phoenix, AZ
Hello all! Well my two larger tortoises are almost 3 years old in a couple months and I am still somewhat unsure as to their gender. Remember these two were both from the same clutch and are very similar underneath as you can see from the pictures. The size of Copper, the larger one on the left is quite astonishing compared to his once the same size sibling. I was thinking Copper was a male just because of how fast he was growing and his more aggressive eating habits/curiosity.

I was thinking now that I might have 2 girls, based on their tail scutes looking more rounded. Any ideas? Can anyone help with determining their gender?

IMG_4089.JPG IMG_4090.JPG IMG_4093.JPG

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yes, because of the anal scute orientation, I thin two females too.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The size difference is more than likely due to them living in pairs. We've seen that many tines here. Once separated the smaller one took off growing.

Minni-minns

Glendale, AZ
Hello all! Well my two larger tortoises are almost 3 years old in a couple months and I am still somewhat unsure as to their gender. Remember these two were both from the same clutch and are very similar underneath as you can see from the pictures. The size of Copper, the larger one on the left is quite astonishing compared to his once the same size sibling. I was thinking Copper was a male just because of how fast he was growing and his more aggressive eating habits/curiosity.

I was thinking now that I might have 2 girls, based on their tail scutes looking more rounded. Any ideas? Can anyone help with determining their gender?

View attachment 275285 View attachment 275286 View attachment 275287

Minni-minns

Glendale, AZ
I have an almost 4 year old sulcata and she s about the size of your smaller one. I'm not very concerned edahiut her size. What shocked me is that she all the sudden was a male! There was no mistaking what I saw. Is that normal? How come i Never saw the male parts b4??? I cant change her name!!

Tortlex

Phoenix, AZ
Thank you all for the info, I am thinking that they are girls as well. If anyone else wants to offer any input/experience on this, it is of course welcome! Gonna call them girls from now on though until they want to prove me otherwise. ;)

6strings

Rancho Palos Verdes, CA
Hi Alex - WOW, your custom tank is just beautiful! I am very interested in what you used for the frame. Extruded aluminum, but what shape (U-channel? What dimensions of the cross section? Where did you get it?) I appreciate any info. Like others have said, unfortunately your enclosure will not suffice in time. Does not take away from the artistry though! The babies are very cute I must say.